Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Its all grappling. To focus on one is subdividing. Incorporate all effective techs regardless of origin. Especially since they are now so readily available. They grew into distinct and separate categories through isolation. In this day and age, this is just not the case. Plus you gotta get to the ground somehow and bein on top is good. Wrestling is already a fundamental part of sub grappling just without focus on subs. Don't put limitations on your growth.

I learned this the hard way.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville
    not sure he's really big on jiu-jitsu, he refers to it as guys just rolling around in PJ's

but i've told him, you laugh all you want just try to remember what happend after you wake up. wrestling is very good but for your age, in a street fight you wont survive against a submission artist.

he's a good kid, 16 160lbs 5'7"

but his biggest fault is he doesnt really have any control.
    he cant even take losing a board game or checkers without throwing a fit.

before he tried out for wrestling, I went light with him and told him, "remember, control your breathing, work smarter not harder." he gassed out within 45 seconds because he tried to go macho man balls to the wall isntead of pacing himself.

A veteran wrestler indeed will give a BJJ/JJ veteran a run for his money, but i think the BJJ/JJ practitioner may come out on top in the end due to constant repetition on submissions.

guess in my head, in theory: if you wrestle for 8 years only playing by traditional rules of pin and points and rarely if ever try submissions, a BJJ/JJ veteran with the same amount of time training, but learning position and submission will/ may be more likely to come out on top, because even if the wrestler stays on top in guard, the JJ practioner has many more options.

Also, given his age, self defence wise i think JJ may benefit him some more.
    still though, definately gonna try and work with him on take downs and techniques.

Array

School
    Sjårdalen mma
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Hey guys, I've got a friend that wants to start grappling and I offered him to look into Brazilian Jiu-jitsu/ jiu-jitsu vs High school wrestling.

he has a bit of an ego and doesnt think highly of "guy rolling around in pajama's"

I told him, dont get me wrong, wrestling is good and can be effective but for a street fight BJJ/JJ will more than likely beat out High School wrestling. wrestling is a very strong and dominant foundation, however in a highschool setting, your mostly working for position and points.

wrestling is position, jiu jitsu is submission.

wrestling is extremely fun and effective but I would lean to jiu jitsu every time.
    Its his choice but I told him to look into jiu jitsu aswell for a grappling art.

any advice, input, opinions etc?
    A street fight beeing a good example ? :P A good wrestler that can pound your face.. dont we see alot of bjj fail against that in mma ? ofc also see alot of good bjj win also. you know like the brazillian with the roided wrestler on top for 5 rounds winning with a triangle and so on.

Still if he can he should train both.
    You get a really good base from wrestling and alot of good moves and great control

The biggest difference between alot of BJJ guys and wrestlers, with regard to wrestlers doing "well" early, is they simply have more mat time than other BJJ beginners (guys with less than 4 years in). The other difference is, the wrestlers tend to, on average, be much better athletes.

However, an experienced BJJ guy, who is the athletic match of his former wrestling dance partner, tends to mop the mat with said wrestler. I think alot of these sorts of things talking about how great wrestling does against BJJ, sort of ignore in many cases the wrestler has more mat time than the new BJJ guy, and esp with regard to Collegiate wrestlers there is a large gap in raw athletic ability as well.

Even out the physical parameters and it tends to be much more on the BJJ side. Regarding MMA, all the wrestlers doing well these days have cross trained ALOT of BJJ, so calling them wrestlers.....is sort of misleading.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    if it is for a self defense purpose i would recommend judo because it is good for getting top position and quick submissions against people that are dressed in jackets and shirts if you live somewhere hot where most people ware shorts and t's go with jujitsu.

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    tell him to join a 10th planet school? or do submission wrestling? it sounds like he just doesnt like the gi lol theres no problem with that

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Train both they will both enhance your game in different areas. I wrestled my whole life and didn't start jits until after high school, and my wrestling definately gave me an edge over the guys with no wrestling experience.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville
    Quote Originally Posted by FiErCe_oNi View Post
    tell him to join a 10th planet school? or do submission wrestling? it sounds like he just doesnt like the gi lol theres no problem with that

lol he kinda thinks jiu jitsu is cheap cause its not a real fight.

lol if a guy can kick your ass without throwing a punch, he can fight.

lol thats like losing a race and sayin "thats not fair, I wasnt ready yet"

again, he's at that stage where he thinks he knows everything, I told him not to get so big headed cause he doesnt even kow anything yet. didnt exactly like it when he got an attitude about it and i told him i've got 9 and 10 year olds that could teach him take downs and submissions.

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    ok heres an idea, challenge him to a fight and beat him without throwing any strikes. no better way to prove your point to a stubborn person. they want proof, give them proof.

I have a better idea, do the entire BJJ/10th planet world a favor, dont get the dude anywhere near a class. He has all the tell tale signs of douchebag spazz machine. Just a train wreck waiting to happen.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast