Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Combat Base

How much stretching do you need?

I have been experimenting for several years to find the optimum frequency to make the most efficient gains in static flexibility, and have come to the firm conclusion that it is twice a week. I do my stretch routine at 70 to 80 percent of my current stretch limit once a week, and then the very next day, after a good warm up, in a warm room, (a bit of weed is a good optional extra) and very importantly if you feel ready and are in a good emotional state (as emotions can profoundly effect your muscle tension and regulation) I try to set some personal bests. This approach flies in the face of the more is better approach, but it is using this approach that has given me the best results. What is your current stretch routine and what has brought about the most improvement in your static flexibility?

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    Every day.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    IMO there is never enough stretching

Array

School
    RGA NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Serge Bunimovich View Post
    IMO there is never enough stretching
    100% agreed

Array

School
    Combat Base
    All I know is that I've hit my personal bests using the approach I described. My base flexibility level was/is average at best but now I can do full lotus, full front split, one inch from floor box splits, legs behind my head, butterfly with head touching the floor, stupidly close to no-hands lotus, so I think I'm on the right track. It's whatever works for you right? I love stretching and would do it every day just because it's so relaxing, but the time I now save on stretching can be put to better bjj goals, such as actually not sucking at bjj.

Mikael Chay

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Hannan View Post
    All I know is that I've hit my personal bests using the approach I described. My base flexibility level was/is average at best but now I can do full lotus, full front split, one inch from floor box splits, legs behind my head, butterfly with head touching the floor, stupidly close to no-hands lotus, so I think I'm on the right track. It's whatever works for you right? I love stretching and would do it every day just because it's so relaxing, but the time I now save on stretching can be put to better bjj goals, such as actually not sucking at bjj.
    Wow, that's impressive Paul! If you can do all that with an "average at best" flexibility and stretching only twice a week, I think a few people would be interested in knowing your stretching routine. Would you mind breaking it down for all the non-flexible people out there?

I work sitting down at a computer most of the day, so my neck can get stiff and jacked up frequently in training.. I usually do this routine to substantially stretch out all things upper back and neck.

Array

School
    Combat Base
    Yeah sure Mikael but I'll probably have to do it in stages as my woman is a slave driver and I barely have time to wipe my ass. I think it's important to say that the tension in your muscles is set by your mind and when people become more flexible there are minimal changes to the body and what is really changing is your ability to regulate your muscular tension. I don't know if you've ever tried stretching when you have been upset and tense in your mind, but when I've tried to stretch and I've been upset, there's no way I'm hitting any personal stretching bests. As a general rule, flexible happy minds equals a more flexible body, although I'm sure there are stressed out dudes that are human pretzels, but there's always an exception to every rule.

Anyway the routine. Make sure the room you are stretching in is warm, comfortable clothes, smoke some bud if you so wish, and try to get into a relaxed state of mind. The exercises are nothing magical and most of them are shown in Mastering the Rubber Guard. I do a general warm up which usually consists of squats, star jumps and lunges for 5 minutes with joint rotations. Then I warm up my back with hands under the back sit up, rocking back and forth by lying on my back and grabbing the back of my knees, hyperextension, cat curls shown as lower back stretch in MTRG. Pump as much blood into your lower back as possible....and now my dog is pestering me for his walk so I'll continue later.

Array

School
    10th Planet Altoona
    every day

Mikael Chay

Awesome, Paul! Very encouraging to know that you were able to get great results mostly from the MTRG stretches. I'm using them myself as the core of my stretching routine and although I'm not able yet to do half the things you mention (full front split, one inch from floor box splits, legs behind my head), I've definitively improved my flexibility a great deal. Thanks for taking the time to describe your routine! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast