Array

School
    Strange Wolves MMA

Help with the lockdown needed

I recently started trying to implement the lockdown into my game but I am having trouble whipping some people up as they are either putting their forehead into my jaw or using their shoulder to mash my face. The jaws of life technique isn't really working for me especially when the guys shoulder is in my face and his head is out the other side.

Can anyone help?

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    I was in a similar position as you. The whip down will be your best friend, or stomp and insert a butterfly hook.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Whip down and a proper jaws of life are essential in the fight for double underhooks. It's also important to remember that there is no stalling in the lockdown. Odds are that you'll be flat on your back when you first slap it on their leg, and being flat, as you probably know, is bad, bad, bad. Constant pressure through whipping up, down, and back is key to winning the underhooks battle and the angle battle. The goal every time is to get to PERFECT Double Unders; there is no stopping to think before that; it's a tough battle. Once at PDU, I find, that I have a couple seconds (literally like maybe two seconds) to decide which route I will take from there: o.s., mechanic, mechanic arm drag, e.c., d.f., p.g., whatever.

But the battle is getting to PDU.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    Nova Uniao BJ Penns MMAA
    lotta the brown belts here do that to me as well. two options. the butterfly half is a great suggestion to transition into maybe deep half or an x guard variant. and 2 I think of what eddie does, I stay calm keep my outside arm safe if i don't have the under, and just eat the pressure as i look to whip down for double unders, electric chair, or reach for electric unders, and start rocking. I just used this this am in no gi and although i usually go to butterfly half, I wanted to prove that the lockdown and the electric chair are totally legit, even when someone is obnoxiously putting pressure on you. I've had trouble with my jaw doing this mind you but once you've proven your commited and start having success, this will happen less with those type of partners.

Array

School
    Nova Uniao BJ Penns MMAA
    there's another thread about this aswell with alot of good info

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    Besides whipping down, you can stomp or meat hook whe. They get you in a a sold head and arm.Its on MTS.

Dont give up that underook at all costs.

When I get the underhooks, i dont let them go to whip down. Learned that the hard way.

Hope this helps

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    This might not be the optimal answer you were looking for but denying them head an arm control is a lot easier than getting out of head an arm control. While in lockdown I like to control their bicep with my bottom hand (never letting their arm across my face) until I'm ready to bury my head in their lap an dive deep for sweeps.
    If I do fuck up I use a simple sweep called London. I overhook their underhook arm an pinch my elbow to my ribs an I punch an buck directly over top of their head. They will either roll over for sweep (an usually curse under their breath that they can't believe that worked) or post with arm giving you a chance to get underhook back. Basically serves the same function as whip down but with a chance to sweep.