Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninjutsu

Array

School
    N/A

Ninjutsu

Is it one of those martial arts that really would not work in a MMA fight?

I saw it on the history channel and was wondering.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Ninjitsu = assassination/stealth entry and escape/sabotage It's more akin to being a Navy Seal and they of course use lots of weapons and booby traps. They've watered down the hell out of ninjitsu to be able to train it as a fighting style here in the states. No, you won't be seeing to much, if any, ever, ninjitsu in the cage, unless some guy sneaks a dagger in his compression shorts and stabs his opponent...or the ref, or some high priority target in the audience to gain favor with his shogun...oh wait it's 2011, the Japanese feudal system is gone =(.

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    A lot of the techniques in traditional martial arts would be illegal in an mma fight but against an untrained opponent in a street fight could be very effective. I can't vouch for Ninjitsu but I've trained in Kempo Karate for some time before getting into BJJ. From personal experience and from some of my training partners experiences several of the techniques were very street effective. My only problem with the traditional martial arts from my experiences in them were that we often focused too much on time on low percentage techniques and practicing forms when we could have been drilling basic counters, defense and set ups instead.

About a year ago I met a guy who was training in To Shin Do Ninjutsu. As to be expected, they believed that their style was simply the best in every way. When I would question the effectiveness of Ninjutsu in MMA, they said that a skilled Ninja would dominate any MMA fighter. They even said it had already been done! The fighter they spoke of is Hardee Merritt. I personally never heard of him. They said he didn't pursue an MMA career because it was simply no challenge. Let me be clear, I do NOT share this opinion. No hate towards me please! I had the opportunity to train a little bit with them. It was a lot of fun but I question the effectiveness. Here's a video of this Hardee Merritt dude.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Maybe you should ask Scott Morris how that ninjitsu worked out for him?

Array

School
    Electric City MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    Maybe you should ask Scott Morris how that ninjitsu worked out for him?

lmfao!!!! good point

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Worked out for Steve Jennum in "winning" the UFC 3 tournament!!! Scott Morris was NOT a top level guy of Robert Bussey not even close! Jeremy Horn was a blackbelt of Robert Bussey. But like ALL mma fighters back then, they had to learn every aspect of the game they couldn't be one dimensional.

In my opinion (I only trained with three different instructors over a few years) the way ninjutsu is taught is not useful for fighting in real life scenarios nor sports.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    Worked out for Steve Jennum in "winning" the UFC 3 tournament!!! Scott Morris was NOT a top level guy of Robert Bussey not even close! Jeremy Horn was a blackbelt of Robert Bussey. But like ALL mma fighters back then, they had to learn every aspect of the game they couldn't be one dimensional.
    "Replacement fighter Steve Jennum won the tournament by defeating Harold Howard via submission due to strikes, despite only fighting in the finals. Jennum was a replacement for Ken Shamrock, who made it to the finals but withdrew due to injury. This was the first UFC tournament that was not won by Royce Gracie (who could not continue due to fatigue)." - Wiki

there are effective techniques in nearly every martial art, including ninjitsu. Just because one has more than another doesen't mean it should be discarded completely. Remember how no one ever used the axe kick from tkd until cro-cop came along and put it to good use? Remember, refusing to accept a martial art as viable in one way or another is not going to improve you as a martial artist. The more you know, the better rounded you are as a fighter.

I'm not saying you should go out and spend all your time training in ninjitsu, but I am saying you should be open minded to the fact that there ARE techniques in every martial art that works. Remember the power behind joe hogans spinning back kick.

and isn't the tenth planet philosophy about being open minded?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast