Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Serra BJJ

Gogoplata Variation

I was setting up the gogoplata the other day and my training partner was defending properly by grabbing the foot. So I grabbed his wrist to force his hand out but I couldn't get my foot under the chin and I didn't want to facialplata him bc ppl at my gym wouldn't understand. So I let his wrist go and slid my hand over my foot and under his chin to make space. I still was having trouble getting the foot under the chin, so from there (keeping my hand and wrist in the gap between my foot and his chin) I used my hand that was around the back of his neck to reach to my other hand gable grip. To finish I kick my shin deeper into his neck while pulling toward myself with the gable grip and squeeze my elbows toward eachother.

Anyone else have to use this variation?
    Anyone actually get the visual?

All responses appreciated

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    I actually did this once, about a year but I didnt think anything of it.

Array

School
    Serra BJJ
    Yeah, I gotta believe I'm not the first to do it bc its literally right there. I think it might actually be easier than following through with the regular finish bc u don't have to worry about the foot being under the chin or being grabbed.

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    Well, give it a name, sir, and we'll refer to it as that.

The Stolfi-plata? :P

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Stolfi View Post
    I was setting up the gogoplata the other day and my training partner was defending properly by grabbing the foot. So I grabbed his wrist to force his hand out but I couldn't get my foot under the chin and I didn't want to facialplata him bc ppl at my gym wouldn't understand. So I let his wrist go and slid my hand over my foot and under his chin to make space. I still was having trouble getting the foot under the chin, so from there (keeping my hand and wrist in the gap between my foot and his chin) I used my hand that was around the back of his neck to reach to my other hand gable grip. To finish I kick my shin deeper into his neck while pulling toward myself with the gable grip and squeeze my elbows toward eachother.

Anyone else have to use this variation?
    Anyone actually get the visual?

All responses appreciated
    Could you post a few pictures or a video of what you're talking about Dan? It sounds like you may have stumbled onto something great. I just could use some visuals to see what the finish looks like.

Array

School
    Serra BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Facility74 View Post
    Well, give it a name, sir, and we'll refer to it as that.

The Stolfi-plata? :P
    haha thanks I'll think about a name if the general consensus is its a move worth incorporating. I feel like it is.

I'll try to post a video asap.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Stolfi View Post
    haha thanks I'll think about a name if the general consensus is its a move worth incorporating. I feel like it is.

I'll try to post a video asap.
    Stofi-plata has a nice Stofi'ish ring to it.

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Could you post a few pictures or a video of what you're talking about Dan? It sounds like you may have stumbled onto something great. I just could use some visuals to see what the finish looks like.
    +1

Is it like the Shwells choke on 10th planet watch (under rubber guard police)?

Array

School
    Serra BJJ
    Close, the variation I used I didn't come under the leg and I didn't hug the knee. I was over the foot and under the chin with one arm and the other arm was around the back of his neck. And the dude used his thumbs in the gable grip, I was taught no to do that.

Minor details though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast