Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Team Shark
    you shouldnt have tried to jump on his back in that situation you gave him the takedown

instead of trying to use flexibile you really needed to frame on his hips.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    In defense to the aggressive folks above I was just watching for the first few rolls till the big guy ran through about three dudes. He then challenged me which i declined, but was later convinced by the crew. To the guy who says i got my ass handed to me you must have missed the choke at the end. He def. squished the shit out of me tho and I will be keeping my rolling to the gym,but i am still new to jj and must admit it was nice seeing what a small level of jiu jitsu can do against someone who has no backround whatsoever. So talk your smack, but i only made this thread to get some insight on what i could have done better once I was put on my back by someone bigger. My wrestling backround is zero

Array

School
    Fighting Dragons Combat Sports & Behring Jiu Jitsu
    You almost were half way to move I use all the time. I wrote about it a few threads ago. You had the right idea, when he had you in scarf hold and thru your leg up to peel him back. You needed to use jaws of life.....push his head up to get leg around. Push's his center of gravity off and some of the weight off your chest. If you had pushed his head up 6 inch's would have been easy peel. Triangle his head as you sit up arm bar trailing arm..... bang , you got Limelight. My name for the move.lol.

Weight has nothing to do with it,I weigh 155 pounds and have used it on guys that out weigh me by 100 pounds, only thing smart guys do to defend is keep there face buried close to your chest. But he wasn't smart enough for that.lol.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley Rollins View Post
    In defense to the aggressive folks above I was just watching for the first few rolls till the big guy ran through about three dudes. He then challenged me which i declined, but was later convinced by the crew. To the guy who says i got my ass handed to me you must have missed the choke at the end. He def. squished the shit out of me tho and I will be keeping my rolling to the gym,but i am still new to jj and must admit it was nice seeing what a small level of jiu jitsu can do against someone who has no backround whatsoever. So talk your smack, but i only made this thread to get some insight on what i could have done better once I was put on my back by someone bigger. My wrestling backround is zero
    Don't stress it dude. Jiujitsu is different things to different people. Some people feel that it should be respected and stay in the gym where it is controlled, safe, responsible, and clean. Others think it's just a way to choke a dude out. I am a bit of column A and column B. Though I would never roll with a total stranger outside of the gym, cage, or competition... I don't personally view this as a sin against the MMA gods.

You can't please everybody all of the time and you shouldn't worry about it. Some people take offense at people who roll while high on weed, go figure. Different strokes for different folks.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    I keep asking friends if they consider BJJ to still be a martial art. I feel its becoming more of a sport/gym activity than a martial art. Videos like this make me feel that way. In my very old school mind, a martial artist wouldn't refer to his opponent as a "fat fuck". Respect was always taught by instructors and practiced by students in martial arts. Having never taken part in any organized sports in my youth, I don't know if that was the case in sports.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    I have a lot of respect for the guy,we've been friends for years. I only put it that way in good fun.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Alcohol involved right? This shits good times sometimes. Standing arm drag would have bin my first option. Or evil rainbow to get a hook and escape your head for back control. Sweepin is out of the question and escapes/ scrambles should be your objective. Either way it looked like good times with friends.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    You dictate your own reality buddy. What's going to happen is you'll be friends with less people by holding true to who you are in and out of the gym, but the people you do make friends with, those relationships will be THAT much stronger. Some people take offense to people rolling while high, and that's okay. Some people are into the backyard brawl type of deal, not my thing really, nor is rolling drunk at a party, but I'm not judging. Although calling him a fat F#ck was a bit mean, but some groups of close friends call each other those sort of names. Nice finish by the way. =D Just be you buddy, even if it means some people won't like ya for it.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    you did a great job against someone MUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH larger than you. Weight DOES matter. The more skilled you become the more you nullify it...but a dude almost 500lbs presents you with difficulty. You got the tap, you did fine. My question is why would you even try to sweep him?

It was funny that when he had you in side control he couldn't figure out what to really do with you.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley Rollins View Post
    I have a lot of respect for the guy,we've been friends for years. I only put it that way in good fun.
    dude I'm brutal with my friends....I think people are taking your drunk roll or party roll or high roll too seriously. In high school we used to wrestle like that all the time and call each other worse than a fat fuck...usually stuff that was of a sexual orientated nature. It's all good. If the guy felt disrespected I'm sure there would have been punches thrown. People need to calm down...this is just rough housing with jiu jitsu elements.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast