Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Array

School
    none
    lmao dude if u didnt have any wrestling why the bajesus did u tie up w him? haha i like the arm drag suggestion. i also digg the xguard sweeps but u gotta put the reps in and for someone that huge i probably wouldnt even try cuz if you shoot for a single and he sprawl......UHHHHH OHHHHHH!!!!!!

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    I keep asking friends if they consider BJJ to still be a martial art. I feel its becoming more of a sport/gym activity than a martial art. Videos like this make me feel that way. In my very old school mind, a martial artist wouldn't refer to his opponent as a "fat fuck". Respect was always taught by instructors and practiced by students in martial arts. Having never taken part in any organized sports in my youth, I don't know if that was the case in sports.
    This is my opinion only. I don't think there is a correct answer. However, I really liked and agreed with this quote:
    "The people that trash talk traditional martial arts have no clue. They don’t know the game and they don’t have the knowledge. I consider wrestling a martial art and boxing a martial art. Everything, including Judo and Taekwondo, works; it just depends on how you apply it. It is the martial artist that makes the style efficient, not the style that makes the martial artist efficient." - Georges St. Pierre

I think a martial art is a way to systematically (in a way that can be repeated by others) discipline your mind and body to control aggressive or dangerous combat situations. This includes staying calm in tough spots, disarming others who are dangerous, and learning when and when not to engage. Wrestling qualifies (to me). So does boxing. If someone walks up to me at a bar and swings, I can use my martial art to avoid danger.

I think that saying BJJ is not a martial art because of this is a little extreme. First of all, if they are fighting as friends just to see what happens, then it is just practice. Fights happen outside of the gym, and outside of weight classes, so why not try your hand there occasionally? And if it is in anger, that means it is applied martial arts. The little guy defends himself from the big guy with technique. We have all seen videos of this happening with every martial art out there - a bully starts some shit, and gets knocked out by a karate guy or whatever. Isn't that one of the main points of martial arts?

Finally, the comment "fat fuck". Is it disrespectful? Yes, clearly. Is it appropriate? No. However, this is an internet forum, and a lot of us are stoners. Is it not possible that someone just typed something up high, and the joking tone in his head didn't come through? They seem to be friends, so I doubt he meant it they way people are taking it. Besides, even if he did, there is a difference between a single person showing disrespect, and a whole martial art becoming something else. I am positive that, for every martial art out there, there has been at least a few practitioners who have gone out and acted rude. Judo, Karate, Kung Fu ... are we to assume that no expert in these has ever talked shit, or ever fought in a living room? Does that make them not a martial art? Or does it just make the person out of line?

Array

School
    none
    nice take evans.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234