Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC

Ryron Gracie - Monkey Mount / Gangsta Lean

I must confess, I've never understood the difference between the "Gangsta Lean" and the "Monkey Mount". I know there's a move I attempt often where you mount the opponent high and off to one side and in my mind, I alternate the name of the position between those two moves. In any event, the position is broken down in Eddie's "Mastering the Twister" book.

It's interesting to see Ryon using it at the recent Gracie Worlds. If the video doesn't start at the right place, you should jump to 6:02.

Nice, thanks for the link!

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Damn......Awesome transitions gi or no gi

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    I think the Gangsta lean is one option from the Monkey Mount. I think?

Kinda like New York is one option from Mission control? I am not too sure so thats just my limited understanding of it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    The 10th Planet is eclipsing the Gracie world. Science!

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    Here's my issue with a lot of BJJ schools compared to 10P...naming conventions. 10P has a standardized naming convention and is broken down to the smallest detailed movement, with each having it's own name (whether by divine creation by Eddie or the 10P family or lack of commonality within BJJ). My BJJ education consisted of (for different types of mounts): low/high mount, side mount, and S mount. Past that, everything else taught similar to Gangsta Lean or Monkey Mount or others were considered "Mount with..." and then insert over the arm or what have you.

Also, depending on where you go, there's multiple names for one technique. Flower sweep...fairly common name for the sweep from guard to mount. Learned it as Flower Sweep, taught it as Flower Sweep. One day, my coach asks us to do the Pendulum Sweep...after a bunch of blank stares, he shows us and it's the Flower Sweep. Then was upset that no one knew what the Pendulum Sweep was. This goes on and on; Hip Bump Sweep vs Kimura Sweep from guard, varying types of half guard vs quarter/Z/93/etc, side control (traditional and it's variations) vs specific types of side control (scarf hold, twister side, etc). Anytime I go to a school and they ask me if I know how to do something, I tell them I might, but not by that name. And for the most part, I know what they are talking about, but there are so many names for techniques that not all of them get passed down "by name".

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    For us, that was a textbook slow triangle from gangsta lean. He really is smooth as fuck.

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    that was bad ass to watch, thanks for the post. the transitions at 12 minutes just inspired me.
    Jigoro Kano → Tsunejiro Tomita → Mitsuyo "Count Koma" Maeda → Carlos Gracie, Sr. → Jean Jacques Machado → Eddie Bravo → Myself

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona/ Academy of Kings Top Team
    Ryron always grappling like a beast!! He was smooth as hell and the music in the background was dope too

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Nu'usolia View Post
    Ryron always grappling like a beast!! He was smooth as hell and the music in the background was dope too
    Nuff said! That was awesome to watch him be so calm, sub only matches are the way to go.
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast