Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Art "ART OF WAR" Belarde View Post
    @Zaya chances are he has more mat hours in wrestling than you do in BJJ. I say that because you said he was a team captain. So you know he didn't get there just by showing up a couple times. How long have you been doing BJJ? if it is less than half the mat hours he has what do you expect to happen? So you can't say wrestlers are so tough you have to say hey I need more time on the mat. I hope that helps with your question.
    hahaha ok well I don't feel like such a piece of shit about losing then. I'll make sure keep training, and correct that retarded spelling error LOL.

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park

Heck ya

Kick some ass bud.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Butterfly sweeps are your friend =D, that and the drop kick when they stack the living bajesus out of you when in full guard.

like i said sweeps from the guard are great, like asylum sweep is my fav, butterfly, and scissor

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Orlando
    just visit a random highschool wrestling practice and youll find out real fast...

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Orlando
    but to answer your question, pull halfguard then old school. dont waste your energy for a take down, its just not gunna happen...

Array

School
    NA
    to beat the wrastler you have to BE the wrastler. j/k but seriously. practice practice practice. you gotta stack protein do squats deadlifts and kettlebells...work on sweeps. in my old school some sessions we'd just practice positions without submissions (wrestling) just to focus on getting control of the opponent.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    To answer the first question: "Why are wrestlers so tough?"

As it's been said, a good part of it is mat time but it's not just the time, it's the QUALITY of the time. Wrestlers undergo absolutely BRUTAL practices every time they step in the wrestling room. They make weight weekly. They train constantly. To get to be the captain of any halfway decent team that guy has not only put in mat time, but he's put in time being punished hard and rose to the top of his team. That's work ethic. Secondly, one thing that has always fascinated me about wresting-tough versus other-guy-tough: wrestlers don't spend all their time lifting weights. They get their strength from functional movements. They get it from throwing other really strong guys around for years. Their strength comes from controlling another guy's bodyweight using their own body position. In jiu jitsu we preach position first -- that's all wrestlers do. They get position and keep it. That's a whole 'nother kind of tough that you can't get from just lifting heavy things a lot. The only way to get that kind of strength is to spend a LOT of time moving other tough guys around (or have a strength and conditioning coach like Greg Walsh who understands functional strength ).

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by zaya View Post
    quickly switch to the 100%? 100% choke? Or is that a 10th planet term? or am I just a total retard?
    it's a sweep that ends you up in mount already in position to finish the fight with a neck crank. This isn't the best video to describe what I'm talking about as the instructor focuses on different finishes and not the move itself, but it's all I could find. You see how he has his partner's head in his armpit and then he shoots his hand under the other guy's armpit and clasps his hands? you can do this from guard also to get the sweep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZy8AxmcboY

holy shit guys that's a lot of great info thanks for all the advice!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast