Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood

Mark Coleman mulling retirement but hopeful for Herschel Walker fight

by Steven Marrocco on May 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm ET mmajunkie

In reacting to news of the UFC's recent accident-insurance policy, Mark Coleman calls himself a former fighter. He then stops himself.

"Well, not a former fighter," Coleman recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I may fight again. But probably my UFC days are over."

The 46-year-old UFC Hall of Famer admits that his athletic career is on borrowed time. But there is one fight that would make him feel young again.

"An opportunity to fight Herschel Walker would be something that I would drop everything (for) and try to train and prepare for him," Coleman said.

The idea of fighting the former football star turned MMA fighter started as a rumor, of course. Coleman has received several offers to get back in the cage since Randy Couture dominated him at UFC 109. None of them, however, has been exciting enough for him to consider the idea of getting back in the gym.

"I've had some offers that intrigued me, but at the same time, I don't want to be a journeyman," he said. "I don't want to go out there and get my butt whupped for a paycheck. If it comes down to that, I might do it. But right now, I'm able to survive."

Truth be told, he is still recovering from the Couture loss 15 months later. The UFC released him from his contract shortly after the fight, which ended early in the second round when Couture tapped him with a rear-naked choke.

"I don't mind losing, but going out there and not performing, it took a lot out of me," Coleman said. "But my head's up. My daughter just won the Junior Olympic Nationals this past weekend."

Coleman recently took a job with Ultimate Brand Management, a licensing company that owns several MMA-related companies, and he travels the country making appearances and signing autographs. He's also lucky enough to get health insurance, which is a necessity after all that he's put his body through.

"I do have the injuries," he said. "I'm not complaining because all fighters have them. But I'm older, and these injuries are there, and they're not going away. It's not so easy to really put the grind in right now."

For Walker (2-0 MMA, 2-0 SF), though, Coleman (16-10 MMA, 7-5 UFC) would put in that grind. He considers the man a legend. At 49, the former NFL great and Olympic bobsledder has surpassed everyone in longevity on MMA's big stages with the exception of Ron Van Clief, who competed in the UFC at age 51. Walker is 2-0 in MMA while competing twice for Strikeforce in a 12-month period, but he's not booked for an upcoming fight and seems noncommittal about another.

But a fight with Walker would offer perhaps one final shot at glory for the godfather of ground and pound.

But rumors are rumors, and Coleman is just trying to survive at this point. There are many who came up with him in the sport that aren't doing so well.

"I have friends that I've known since the sport began, and a lot of them are struggling," he said. "I'm not blaming anybody. I'm not exactly buying Mercedes right now. I'm just trying to stay afloat. It's a transition.

"You think you can fight forever. I thought I could fight forever. And really, it comes to an end quick."

Coleman won't see any benefit from the UFC's new accident-insurance coverage, but he believes it's a huge positive nonetheless.

"I think it's very much needed," he said. "If you're looking to become a champion, this is a day-in and day-out grind. Every day there's a potential for something snapping or going wrong.

"Guys that can afford it are lucky. But a lot of guys can't afford it. It's not a regular job here. This is ultimate fighting. You're doing multiple high-risk training sessions, and the potential for injury is there. As a former fighter, I think it's great."

And there, he stops himself. He's not exactly sure where he's headed at this point in his life. He's enjoying his time with his daughters, and he is supremely grateful that fans still want to share his time. Maybe he doesn't need fighting.

But he has a message for those who do.

"You're living the dream – take advantage of it, and don't waste any time," Coleman said. "Because the clock's ticking. You're career could end today or tomorrow."