Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Monolith Sambo
    I actually play sambo quite a bit, and I very much prefer knee reaping over the 50/50. If I'm sparring with a guy that is at least familiar with the 50/50, then it often ends in stalling, and my ankles are still somewhat at risk. My best options in the 50/50, in my estimation, are to roll over onto my stomach and attempt a belly-down ankle lock, or stand up and smash them, then pull my leg out.

With knee reaping, I feel much safer, and the control there is just amazing, meaning that I have superior control. In the 50/50, you have control as well, but so does your opponent. I also really like working the sambo-style straight ankle locks, and knee reaping is a good setup for that. The compression-type straight ankle locks from jiu-jitsu aren't nearly as effective, and I can usually catch BJJ guys there because they're used to sitting ankle locks out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I like the leg knot well above 50/50. Feels much safer
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    Thanks guys, I was just wondering because some BJJ guys swear by the 50/50 guard. I've been rocking the x-guard/leg lock combo lately.. and I was aware that it was all sambo, I just didn't know how to explain the difference properly without saying 50/50 vs Sambo. When I first started getting into leg locks around a year ago, I learned from a bodycomb dvd and some of my friends, who have had the privilege to go up to NY and train with Sambo Steve. Then add to that the reaper series that Coach Herzog put out and I felt like I had a pretty solid grasp of the leg lock game. (after many reps of course, still working on the swim move)

But like I said, the amount of ppl swearing by the 50/50 had me wondering if there were any advantages to the 50/50 game. I do end up playing 50/50 every once in awhile but we tend to shy away from it at my gym and just play reaper style.

Thanks again everyone

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    J I posted a video 2 weeks ago on the 10th Planet Rochester Training Blog (www.facebook.com/10thplanetjiujitsurochester) that you may be interested in.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    I enjoy both styles. Rules really do dictate style, however, as the 50/50 heel hook is illegal in the gi, really turning it into more of a transition position as opposed to nogi where the heel hook is always the most immediate threat.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12