The Grappling Dummy: Shinya Aoki, September 2010

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    That interview actually made me like Shinya a fair amount. I did not like him breaking this dude's arm then making gestures, but he seems to be a very intelligent person who's fights are more geared towards the audience, like many other Japanese fighters, then scoring.

Robert Sevigny

I LOVE JAPAN SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love team japan, and team brazil
    and some american fighters, but most of my favorites come from one of those countries

Array

School
    none
    i still cant get over that melendez fight. wtf

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Thanks Jason. Always appreciate your selection of vids you choose to put up here for us to learn from.
    Keep em coming. Marcelo, Aoki, Glover, Cooper, Shields, Popovich or any of the best going round are always great to watch.
    Naturally anything from HQ is a must but I just love the diversity among the greats.

Damn, I wasnt expecting Shinya Aoki to be so laid back in person. From his famous (infamous) fights, he really does show some psychopathic qualities.. Hearing him all mellow was not what I would have envisioned of his character. He says some good shit, real honest and open about his flaws etc. Awesome interview thanks for the share

Array

School
    GGBJJ
    The Melendez fight just showed how much more important wrestling & superior size is in the cage. Aoki's jiujitsu was largely nullified by getting wedged against the fence for most of the fight. I think Aoki wins that fight in the ring.

Array

School
    Inactive
    I don't know if it was just his wrestling. In my mind it was the wrestling coupled with non stop training with some of the highest level of jits possible. I think if he was not putting in the time with that camp or a camp that has that level of bjj players I can't imagine he would have been prepared like he was.