Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catch Wrestling

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Piper View Post
    After reading this

" JUDO -
    Advantages: Incorporates Throws, Sweeps and Takedowns for Gi and No Gi. Also incorporates good basic Ground grappling techniques such as Pinning holds, Arm locks and Chokes. Very strong on throws !

Disadvantages: Does not incorporate Leg locks and Cranks. Ground techniques are Good but are not as strong as Brazilian Jiu jitsu ground techniques.

SAMBO -Advantages: Incorporates Throws, Sweeps, Takedowns, Arm locks Leg locks and Control positions. Very rapid on submissions unlike Brazilian Jiu jitsu, also good Ground techniques. Very good All- round Grappling martial art.

Disadvantages: Does not incorporate Chokes and Cranks. Does not incorporate control positioning before a submission. Not as strong Ground techniques as Brazilian Jiu jitsu.

BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU -

Advantages: Incorporates all submissions (Arm locks, Leg locks, Cranks, Chokes) and very strong on control positions. Incorporates control positioning before a submission. Also incorporates Sweeps. Very strong on Ground grappling techniques !

Disadvntages: Does not incorporate Throws and Takedowns. Not very strong on Stand-up joint locks and grappling.

Brazilian Jiu jitsu techniques - Submissions are Rough but concentrated. Mainly focuses on Control positioning before a submission. Best for Ground fighting !

Sambo techniques - Rapid Submissions and Throws . Mainly used to finnish a fight quickly. Best All-round Grappling Art !

Judo techniques - Rough Throws and Takedowns ! Minor Ground techniques. Best for Throws, Sweeps and Takedowns !"

Coupled with a little of this :

Characteristics of Catch Wrestling

Whereas Brazilian Jiu Jitsu utilizes a more patient, countering approach to submissions, catch wrestling is more about attacking. As MMA fighter Josh Barnett once told MMAWeekly.com, the style "doesn't really believe in laying back and trying to wait for opportunities to present themselves. You make your opportunities; you force your opponents to do what you want them to do."

Thus, it is an aggressive style of fighting that utilizes wrestling in combination with joint locks and choke holds to deliver the desired result.

Basic Goals of Catch Wrestling

In accordance with the aformentioned, the goal of the catch wrestling practitioner is to utilize their wrestling skills to take an opponent to the ground where they will either utilize ground control or a submission to subdue them. The catch wrestling practitioner will attempt to do this as quickly as possible.

And I Cite the internet, cuz it's a series if tubes. Herpe-Derpe.?

If this has led me to have an incorrect understanding. Please correct me. I know Eddie Bravo uses the term Greco-Roman Jiu jitsu from time to time.
    horribly misinformed.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog

horribly misinformed.
    Sweet

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    where did you even find that info?
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    Catch wrestling isn't necessarily submission before position .. its more like.. take the submission from your opponent instead of letting him give it to you. If the first submission fails then flow to the next position. They call it lockflow, cause you're flowing from hook to hook. 10th planet flows similarly in guard... or Red's mounted special k for instance. He went for a gogo, it got stuffed he transitioned to the straight jacket then to special k. There were 3 subs in there... that doesn't mean he was going for submission before position, he was just flowing through submissions, and ended up talon the armbar.

Array

School
    Monolith Sambo
    I've trained with a number of catch guys, and the only thing that is different IMHO is that catch incorporates a lot more pain-compliance subs like neck cranks, and their footlocking game does not always follow conventional grappling wisdom, ie gotch toe holds, cradle toe holds, etc.

I train Sambo, and to say that Sambo is submission before position is just horribly misinformed. Not calling anyone out, just saying. Sambo taught me a shitload about control and positioning because the ruleset scores for pinning, just like wrestling. And since the kurtka is a little lighter and thinner, collar chokes set in that much quicker, at least in my experience. So positioning is extremely important for avoiding those chokes.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardC
    I've trained with a number of catch guys, and the only thing that is different IMHO is that catch incorporates a lot more pain-compliance subs like neck cranks, and their footlocking game does not always follow conventional grappling wisdom, ie gotch toe holds, cradle toe holds, etc.

I train Sambo, and to say that Sambo is submission before position is just horribly misinformed. Not calling anyone out, just saying. Sambo taught me a shitload about control and positioning because the ruleset scores for pinning, just like wrestling. And since the kurtka is a little lighter and thinner, collar chokes set in that much quicker, at least in my experience. So positioning is extremely important for avoiding those chokes.
    This is from wiki :

Sport Sambo (Russian: ?????a ?????,Bor'ba Sambo, Sambo Wrestling (eng)) is stylistically similar to Olympic Freestyle Wrestling or Judo, but with some differences in rules, protocol, and uniform. For example, in contrast with judo, Sambo allows some types of leg locks, while not allowing chokeholds. It focuses on throwing, ground work and submissions, with (compared to Judo) very few restrictions on gripping and holds. [5]

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    Neck cranks kill ppl dead

Quote Originally Posted by J Grooms
    Catch wrestling isn't necessarily submission before position .. its more like.. take the submission from your opponent instead of letting him give it to you. If the first submission fails then flow to the next position. They call it lockflow, cause you're flowing from hook to hook. 10th planet flows similarly in guard... or Red's mounted special k for instance. He went for a gogo, it got stuffed he transitioned to the straight jacket then to special k. There were 3 subs in there... that doesn't mean he was going for submission before position, he was just flowing through submissions, and ended up talon the armbar.
    I think there is a loss in communication here. Its very likely my fault due to my communication skills. I'm defining it as sub > pos due to the scoring. That's the impression I get cuz positions don't win you the fight alone. Its either a pin or a sub for the win right?

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by J Grooms View Post
    Neck cranks kill ppl dead
    Did you have a friend who died of one?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog
    where did you even find that info?
    One was an about.com thang and I think the other was linked from wiki. I will dig it back up tonight or tomorrow if u wish. About to leave work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast