Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    You too can play the Gracie Breakdown Drinking Game! Just take a shot every time Rener Gracie expresses a desire to "keep it real" or mentions how he or someone else is currently in check with the realness being kept. Bonus: take three shots if he mentions how an inanimate object is somehow "Keeping it real".

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMike2k9 View Post
    Nah, he hasn't lost touch at all. he still trains with lots of high level guys, and has forgotten more about BJJ than 99% of anyone will ever learn.

He just has amazing boxing for MMA and loves to throw leather on the feet. I mean, in his last fight, he was taking Fitch down and getting the back. No one does that to Jon Fitch. Jon Fitch, a guy who can wear out basically anyone at 170 not named GSP got out grappled by a natural 155 pounder in BJ Penn. That's pretty crazy.

Before his recent 1-1-1 run at 170, BJ's last win at 155 was with a beautiful Mata Leao.

I guess I agree that if he decided to try and tae Edgar down earlier in the 2nd fight that maybe would have been a better strategy. But you can't fault him. He wanted to knock Edgar out after losing that 1st fight, which most people agree should have gone to BJ.
    See, I that he still rolls with high level guys....but is it with the gi? If so, I doubt it's going to translate well. But you're right. He's forgotten more than I'll probably ever know. Maybe BJ knows other options to finish from that position but he's just a traditional guy so he sticks to the basics.....like Roger. But yeah, finishing from the back is no longer a guarantee.

I guess I'm just disappointed that he lost. IMO he still better than Nick in every aspect except cardio. We see that in round 1. He dominated the boxing and the ground. But at the pace they were going (which is what Nick does to everyone) BJ got tired and just didn't have the energy to defend properly or complete his takedowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You too can play the Gracie Breakdown Drinking Game! Just take a shot every time Rener Gracie expresses a desire to "keep it real" or mentions how he or someone else is currently in check with the realness being kept. Bonus: take three shots if he mentions how an inanimate object is somehow "Keeping it real".
    I don't think my liver can take that kind of drinking.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    See, I that he still rolls with high level guys....but is it with the gi? If so, I doubt it's going to translate well. But you're right. He's forgotten more than I'll probably ever know. Maybe BJ knows other options to finish from that position but he's just a traditional guy so he sticks to the basics.....like Roger. But yeah, finishing from the back is no longer a guarantee.

I guess I'm just disappointed that he lost. IMO he still better than Nick in every aspect except cardio. We see that in round 1. He dominated the boxing and the ground. But at the pace they were going (which is what Nick does to everyone) BJ got tired and just didn't have the energy to defend properly or complete his takedowns.

He did not Dominate anything he landed 6 more punches in the 1st round than nick that's not domination that's a slight advantage. As far as the grappling goes bj got one take down and its not like Nick tried to stop it he gave it to him to create a scramble Penn ended up on his back but never threatened so the grappling was wash.
    You think Bj was wore out after that slow ass first round and that's why Nick whipped his ass in the second? he through 20 punches and one effortless take down and that wore him out? Not even Penn is in that bad of shape. The second round was a result of Nick's dominate striking Not Penn's lack or cardio
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Umad?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I don't think Penn has the frame to properly compete at 170 (speculation). If he doest finish the fight in the first he wears down and loses it. Any iea if he's able to properly train cardio without losing too much weight? If I remember correctly he doesn't much if any weight to get to 170.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    penn just played into his game. if you watch the diaz brothers last couple fights, they wanna put your back against the cage, stay out of your range n do that stockton slap boxing bullshit. i mean its a legit strategy for them and it obviously works, but bj just kept backing into the fence. the gsp fight will not be the same story. i mean how many times did he hit bj in the 2nd and 3rd rounds? why wasnt he sleepin after all that? its that same shit that the both do. just mho

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post

Penn spends a lot of time rolling both with the gi and without the gi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123