Array

School
    North Wales Judo

10th Planet Judo?

Hey, everyone.

Since this is my first post, I would like to thank Eddie Bravo for creating the 10th Planet system. As a small guy (175 cm, 62 kg), his approach to grappling and life in general has been affirming for me.

I have been studying judo for almost a year now (still a white belt). Due to my excellent level of flexibility I have been able to perform very well in groundwork (newaza). After discovering 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu, my ground game has risen dramatically. I can usually submit people at my level, and I even give the black belts a hard time. I'm also working on my own escapes which I might record and post on here sometime.

My main problem, however, is the standup game. I am beyond terrible. I've got a fair amount of balance so I can avoid being thrown, and when I am thrown I can either control my descent or twist my body to prevent my opponent from scoring. But for actually attacking I can't seem to do anything. If I could pull guard, climb on my opponent like a spider or perform flying attacks, I would, but sadly I am not allowed.
    And because of the rule changes to judo, I cannot do leg grabs, which would've been a huge help to me.

So! Until I can figure out some tricks of my own, if anyone has any advice for me (perhaps some unorthodox techniques?) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Don't work a large volume of Nage Waza (Throwing technique) Narrow it down to 3-4 techniques that all build upon each other. Then start to apply them from a varity of grips (Gi) or clinches (No-Gi). I favor unorthodox grips/clinches: 2 on 1's, 2 on 1 with the back, whizzer's, over the back grips, etc. Just know that anything other than a standard lapell grip it going to limit the amount of time your have to attack due to rules restrictions. But if you have that small series of throws mastered you should be able to hit the from just about any grip with any time restrictions.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

When u say "can't do anything" I hear: "Every tech I try gets counterd". So u need to study your partners. Whenever they get tossed ask the person who tossed them what and how they did it. Then u have some ammo, try it against them if it fails its not because it dosen't work (becaues you saw it used against them already) its becaue your level of perfection in not high enough yet. You must be patient, Martial arts is a journey. One filled with people who are on the same path yet way ahead of you. Just keep trainning.