Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellator Debut

Array

School
    Sbardella MMA/Black Tie BJJ

Bellator Debut

Hey guys, received some big news last night. Kind of torn between a decision though....

Was offered my first Bellator contract, however it is up a weight class. I typically compete at 170lbs. But was asked to fight at 185lbs. against top UK prospect Jack Hermansson (5-0). Not to concerned with the difficulty in the bout, but more in the giving up a great deal of weight. I'm 24-6-1 in my career (Pro & Ammy) with all 6 losses coming at Middleweight so that's what concerns me. I'm 24 (4-2 - Pro) and have lost both fights to 185lb. World Champions (This would be a similar scenario)

I guess why question to the board, would this be a bad career move? Coming off a loss,
    do you think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity? Or will i have another shot down the road?

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Step up and broker other fights into your contracts if you are doing the nego. If you tell them no you may close the door forever. Happened to a buddy of mine. Changed the path of his career not for the positive. My other buddy stepped up and fought a nasty kickboxer in the UFC and got a couple more fights out of the deal.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    You'll never know until you try. Most fighters never get the opportunity to even fight for a promotion like bellator. I say fuck it and go do it. You may only get one chance, and you don't want to squander it. Chicago Norths got your back.

Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    Step up and broker other fights into your contracts if you are doing the nego. If you tell them no you may close the door forever. Happened to a buddy of mine. Changed the path of his career not for the positive. My other buddy stepped up and fought a nasty kickboxer in the UFC and got a couple more fights out of the deal.
    s

This is a great idea. If you can get them to agree to whether win lose or draw on this fight, you get at least 1 more fight @ 170 with the organisation. That would be great. :-)

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    all great point in previous posts. And for sure a tuff decision. Unless you walk at 195-200 I wouldn't take it. Gotta figure the opponent will be back up to nearly 200-205 at fight time. If your at 185 for fight time, that is nearly 20 lbs and a whole bunch to overcome. Are you OK with never getting another shot like this? Then don't take it. If you think you'll always kick yourself if you miss your one time chance, then take it!! Sometimes respect comes from standing up and saying no, not this time it is not right for me. Sometimes takin' a fight to help the promoter can put you in the "desperate, punching bag, sucker" bracket. The promoter could be looking for a sucka to help the other guy's record. (I've seen worse).Unless it is in writting, reviewed by your lawyer, don't take it in hopes that they will be honest and give you what you want. Some promoters can be less than honest in there intentions and commitments. They have lawyers writting contracts with their best interest in mind, and could contain stipulations that give them "outs" in their best interest. Good Luck.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Did you watch tape of Jack? He doesn't look huge. A fighter you know, Dylan Haines, has been training with us and told me you are bigger than you look in pics. Good Luck!!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    That's a tough decision, I can't make that for you, good points made in previous posts tho
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Montalvo Martial Arts Lifestyle Center/10th Planet Omaha
    Good luck regardless, I know I'll be watching and cheering you on if you take it!

Array

School
    10PJJ Ronin/ Victory MMA
    The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions.
    ~Paulo Coelho

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Super tough call.

Questions:
    What's your walk around weight?
    How did you lose against the bigger guys? Was it weight related like you got wreslted up? Or was it due to striking?
    Are you more striker or grappler? And is the opponent more striker or grappler?

IMO, you should do it. You're only 24 and likely have another decade or more for your fight career if all goes well. Take the fight. Compose yourself professionally. Build a good rapport. That way, even if you lose (worst case scenario) , you can still rack up another streak and work your way back into the promotion. And if you make yourself look good at WW, they might take you back for WW. IMO, there's more risks to saying no and getting blackballed than there are for saying yes and losing.

Just train with heavier guys to get used to the weight. Put on some weight. And give it a go. That's my opinion. Good luck no matter what the choice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast