Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

Finishing the TeePee: Any TeePee Masters Out there?

Hey everyone, I was looking for some alternatives for the triangle when I came across the teepee w few weeks ago. Then I busted my ribs, so I havent been rolling until last week.
    For the most part, the people that I train with typically avoid my triangle like the black plague. Nobody wants to be around it. But I can usually land them into the teepee. Since seeing the position I have been pretty deep with it a few times now but can't seem to finish it.

My questions are:
    Is there a certain angle for your hips?
    Are you crunching with your legs and arms or crunching with legs and holding/controlling w arms?
    Where are your legs/arms positioned?
    Do you always need the arm trapped to finish?

A good breakdown of this would be nice, been searching the forums for 30-40 minutes with no luck.
    Last edited by stan myaskovskiy; 05-15-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    I hit the teepee a lot when people posture up in my triangles. I'm still trying to control the shin better to finish the triangle but have been getting postured up on so I just go to the teepee to see if they tap to it. In my experience, it's really just a sub that some people can take and won't tap to, and some people feel it and tap to the pressure. It seems to be more of a neck crank but can be a choke as well on the right person.

I reach up and s-grip behind my knees, crunch/sit up to make everything as tight and uncomfortable as possible, pinch my knees together and use the inside of my elbows/forearms to give extra squeeze to my knees. I am basically just trying to crush their shoulder into their neck using both legs and both arms. The angle is different depending on the size of your opponent and where/how you land in the position, etc. I also think it helps that I have long limbs to get extra leverage and I can really put a squeeze on with my legs when I reach up behind my knees and s-grip to use my arms. If they are caught deep, they usually tap.
    Last edited by Solicit; 05-15-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Thank you for the reply! Your set-up/finish sounds like mine. I am also hitting them when people are trying to simply posture out as an escape. I am longer limbed for the most part as well, so I S-Grip or Gable Grip and then try to essentially do a Scorpion Crush. It seemed when we took a minute to break down the choke that the position of the shoulder had a lot to do with it. A high level breakdown from someone who has been hitting TeePee a while would be great. I feel that just like any finish there is probably an angle that I am not hitting right, so a high level sub breakdown would be really awesome on here to have IMO

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    I agree and would love to see one as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by stan myaskovskiy View Post
    Thank you for the reply! Your set-up/finish sounds like mine. I am also hitting them when people are trying to simply posture out as an escape. I am longer limbed for the most part as well, so I S-Grip or Gable Grip and then try to essentially do a Scorpion Crush. It seemed when we took a minute to break down the choke that the position of the shoulder had a lot to do with it. A high level breakdown from someone who has been hitting TeePee a while would be great. I feel that just like any finish there is probably an angle that I am not hitting right, so a high level sub breakdown would be really awesome on here to have IMO

Array

School
    Combat Society
    Also defense would be great. I'm not bad at surviving in triangles but once teepeed I'm almost always done.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox
    I'm pretty sure the tepee sub was first used by a guy with shorter legs because he had trouble locking up a triangle. The goal is to choke them (just like a triangle) on both sides of the neck. Your knee creates pressure on one side while his shoulder causes the choke on the other side of the neck. I usually hit this on bigger guys that I don't think I can fully close the triangle on. I'm almost positive that anytime I have attempted this after my opponent has started regaining any decent posture it has failed. I use the set up from pyramid for the most part so maintain a tight overhook with the left arm and push the wrist up or out with your right hand to create the necessary space to lace the right leg through. Instead of putting your right leg across his shoulders, lock the right foot underneath the left foot and begin to squeeze your knees together (lockdown type pressure) for control. Maintain your tight overhook until your legs are locked then establish an s-grip around your legs while keeping him fully broken down. Your right knee should be cutting off the blood flow on the left side of his neck while the left leg presses his right shoulder into the right side of his neck. Squeeze the knees, extend the legs, control and add pressure to the knees with your grip, raise your hips and get that choke.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    I certainly can't offer highlevel experience with this but I can say I hit them fairly often and get taps with good percentages, but at the risk of gassing out.
    Making it tight at the start is key for me, like what Solicit explained in his second paragraph, and as I straighten and squeeze with my legs, I pull downward with my S-Grip.

Sometimes I get the tap, sometimes it is just a super-uncomfortable period for them which I will hold until they break posture or I gas.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram