Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Big Man Starting 10th Planet, Is it possible?

Hi everyone, I am about 6'0 and 255lbs with very broad shoulders and huge barrel chest. I've been doing GI for a couple years but am hoping to switch over to 10th planet. I'm just a little nervous that the game of 10th planet isn't going to work for a big dude like me. Any tips, advice or suggestions?

Array

School
    Ronin
    Try it… Flexibility takes time to build up, but saying I can't be flexible because I'm big is a cop out - you just need to work harder than some others. Lockdown game I imagine would be awesome for a big guy who can use his strength with leverage.

Array

School
    10 Planet San Francisco
    Sure you can. You may have to modify a few things until you get more flexible. Butterfly stretch every day.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    It will work great I am in the same boat (6'0 and 250) just work hard and commit!

Array

School
    10th Planet Cookeville TN - Upper Cumberland MMA
    It will work. Try some positions that don't require as much flexibility (twister side control, lockdown, etc.), once you see how effective it is, you will be motivated as hell to work on flexibly for other positions.

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    I'm a large mammal and the half guard stuff is great. You'll get something out of it, not like you have to use absolutely everything. Just use the good bits that work for you.

Array

School
    London
    If I may suggest... Grab a buddy and show up for class 20 minutes early or stay late. Practice reps of Mission Control and Lockdown. Over and over for a month. Once you can hit MC in your sleep add Zombie. Drill it with MC and LD. See how many times per 5 minute round you can hit them when rolling in class. MC and LD are your foundation. Become fearless with them. Welcome to the 10thP family. You'll love it here, the people are....exceptional.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    remember as well that angles are a big big factor in the rubber guard as well as many other positions. alot of people i know bashed the RG until i showed them that by turning their hips, it becomes a very natural position.

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    I'm 6ft, 240 and have no problem with any of the system. Just start doing it and if you're having problems ask the forum for help. Good luck on your journey.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I haven't had any complaints

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast