Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    SDF Gym

Grappling Dummies?

I'm from the uk and as such there isn't many no-gi jiu jitsu schools, I often find myself on the living room floor with my mastering the twister/rubber guard dvd's doing reps into thin air. I'm looking for the next best solution to training with a class as there is none in my area and I was wondering if anyone on here would recommend buying a grappling dummy to practice my reps on? Has anyone trained with one before?

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Grappling dummies are expensive. The best home training I could find was just butterfly sweeping my kids into the air. They're only 3 years old but they think it's fun.

I also recommend a core exercise ball. I just got one and it's already having drastic effects on my ability to distribute my weight. The best part is that the skill and gains are automatic requiring no thought, just time. As for 10th Planet moves, drilling them in the air only worked for me as a way to instill the motions in my brain long enough until I got a live partner. It was nothing like actually drilling the moves but it allowed me to work with a partner without having a book splayed open on the floor next to us.

Here's a website that tells you how to make your own grappling dummy though: http://www.thelivingexample.com/eljefe.html

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    Grappling dummies are expensive. The best home training I could find was just butterfly sweeping my kids into the air. They're only 3 years old but they think it's fun.
    haha, i do the same thing with my nephews all the time. that and ill try to work submissions with 0 strength. in other words if i am in armbar positions and they attempt to curl their arm at all, just lean up with them and switch to the next one.. It's more for fun because they seem to love defending it. but i would guess it would help my body get used to transitions somewhat? Plus after constantly telling them what to do in every situation.. they are finally catching on and using some technique on their own now.

two big rolls of carpet padding, some card board, 6 to 8 rolls of duct tape(the higher quality the better), rope, old rash guard, pants & t-shirt

...i also used a lot of plastic shopping bags, too. i save them as they're especially good to have when you repack heavy bags

(pic's to follow)

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Something disturbing is happening at that home.

(*^.^*)

Array

School
    SDF Gym
    Home made is a good option I think, love the dummy pics even if it looks slightly creepy! I train with my girls 11 yr old boy when he stays over and focus on technique instead of brute strength, thanks for the info guys, think the pics of the home made dummy have inspired me to have a crack at making my own, minus the scream mask!

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    Eddie's master, Jean Jacques Machado is coming out with a BJJ grappling dummy. You can read about it here: http://www.jeanjacquesmachado.com/mma-man

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    Eddie's master, Jean Jacques Machado is coming out with a BJJ grappling dummy. You can read about it here: http://www.jeanjacquesmachado.com/mma-man
    Rad, and it looks like it can bet set to have resistant posture. The weighted base seems like it would imitate the base of a real life opponent too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast