Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Portland

The Explosion and Marketing of 10th Planet JJ

One of the things I hear from a lot of doubters and haters all over the place is that 10th Planet is growing big because "Eddie is a genius at marketing".

To me this seems to be a cop out from them admitting 10PJJ is good or it works or that its beating people in tournaments all over the place. "No, Eddie is just selling it."

I recently started a job in marketing and It's clear that Eddie is in fact a great marketer, but I don't think that is the only reason 10PJJ is experiencing the explosion we are seeing. At last count on this site there were 41+ Moons with who knows how many hotboxes. Correct me if I'm wrong but before his downfall, Lloyd Irvin, the marketer of marketers, didn't have that many dedicated affiliates.

To me the explosion of 10PJJ is based on a few things.
    1, The effectiveness of the techniques. Because you cant sell shit that doesn't work. The fact that our system constantly picks up new techniques that are proven and drops old ones that are disproven, shows we have a commitment to what works over our egos.

2, The efforts of Eddie, Joe Rogan, all our Black Belts, Competitors, Moon Heads, BoxHeads, Ronins and this forum in spreading the good word.

3, The team/family attitude we all have. Louis Ho and I have never met or trained together but I feel like I know a good amount about him and I was very proud that he got his Black Belt last week. When 10th Planet Moons across the world do well, we all feel good. When Carlos Condit uses they Meathook in the UFC that makes us happy. I'm not sure that other BJJ schools have such a tight group as we do, but I think our "family" is one of the biggest "selling points" of 10PJJ.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Phill Schwartz; 08-30-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Phill Schwartz View Post
    One of the things I hear from a lot of doubters and haters all over the place is that 10th Planet is growing big because "Eddie is a genius at marketing".

To me this seems to be a cop out from them admitting 10PJJ is good or it works or that its beating people in tournaments all over the place. "No, Eddie is just selling it."

I recently started a job in marketing and It's clear that Eddie is in fact a great marketer, but I don't think that is the only reason 10PJJ is experiencing the explosion we are seeing. At last count on this site there were 41+ Moons with who knows how many hotboxes. Correct me if I'm wrong but before his downfall, Lloyd Irvin, the marketer of marketers, didn't have that many dedicated affiliates.

To me the explosion of 10PJJ is based on a few things.
    1, The effectiveness of the techniques. Because you cant sell shit that doesn't work. The fact that our system constantly picks up new techniques that are proven and drops old ones that are disproven, shows we have a commitment to what works over our egos.

2, The efforts of Eddie, Joe Rogan, all our Black Belts, Competitors, Moon Heads, BoxHeads, Ronins and this forum in spreading the good word.

3, The team/family attitude we all have. Louis Ho and I have never met or trained together but I feel like I know a good amount about him and I was very proud that he got his Black Belt last week. When 10th Planet Moons across the world do well, we all feel good. When Carlos Condit uses they Meathook in the UFC that makes us happy. I'm not sure that other BJJ schools have such a tight group as we do, but I think our "family" is one of the biggest "selling points" of 10PJJ.

What do you guys think?
    Totally agree. Although the system is amazing, Eddie is in fact a marketing genius.
    Part of it though is we can all feel his passion for the system/sport. Lloyd never had that. Everything is money money money. Can you imagine how much that asshole would charge for MTS?
    10p are definitely 'tighter' than most teams.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Very good points Phil.
    How 10th planet can get guys living in far away places to improve their jiu jitsu, with the support of those on the forum and the technique videos... this is a great selling point.
    But we don't sell ish, it sells itself. The other systems out there haven't gotten to this point yet. A system, stuck in a closed minded group, doesn't lend itself well to evolution.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Eddie is running a business. He needs to be a good marketer. Gracie jiu jitsu has been marketed well too. I guess that stuff doesn't work either?

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    ^This, esp when it comes to areas where other schools (and good ones) are available but you still see people wanting to learn the system on their own. As a Ronin myself I'm proud to be one of the few representing the system with the patch on my shorts and not being shy about showing my love of the truck and lockdown (and a lot of the kids I train with will tell you they know me as "the kid who keeps trying to learn that Eddie Bravo stuff").

Can you imagine how much that asshole would charge for MTS?
    The over/under betting line on that would prob be $30 a month minimum....and you prob should take the over.

The team/family attitude we all have. Louis Ho and I have never met or trained together but I feel like I know a good amount about him and I was very proud that he got his Black Belt last week.
    Felt the same too when I visited the Rochester affiliate, and the [now defunct] Plainville/Hartford CT one. Some of the members recognized me when we met by my name and the Fleury avator I use here, and Coach Herzog talked to us with great respect when me and my two Redline gym mates came out for the camp. I can't say for sure if I would've had that at other jitsu camps (and that's not necessarily a knock on non-10thpjj camps, but rather a credit to 10thpjj). When Slick Rick can fly across the country and we hang out the whole week like we've known each other, or Megan or Zog coaches me on the fly at a tournament before is a credit too.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Eddie is running a business. He needs to be a good marketer. Gracie jiu jitsu has been marketed well too. I guess that stuff doesn't work either?
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu teaches you Self Defense and Self Confidence, 10PJJ gets you high.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Besides the effectiveness of the system. I think for the most part 10th Planet is a douchebag free zone (a few sneak in every now and then) with cool peeps. It draws cool, chilled out, like minded people, that starts at the top and trickles on down. Positivity is gaining popularity, and 10th Planet is part of that movement.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    What chris said, plus
    -it seems like eddie happen to get a good group of guys with nerd skills at the beginning. Nerd skills can make or break you these days.
    -Also its an "american" no-gi based systems that came along at the perfect time in martial arts history (right when the evolution of grappling was demanding it)

Im here because
    -i saw rubber guard and the twister in mma (the shit is legit, proven many ways/times)
    -looked into eddies lineage
    -saw the system was weed friendly (minor bonus, not too important but it relates to open mindedness)
    -all the people are really cool.
    -all the online access.

Look at how many post I have, almost none are directly about jiu jitsu (since i cant really give advice and dont have a lot of jiu jitsu opinion) but i still get to joke around and ask questions and gain knowledge and have fun on the non-jiujitsu threads. Fuckin love it.

Man not trying to troll, but Eddie isn't very good at marketing. Kinda weird to critique him because his jiu jitsu is amazing and training at HQ has been unbelievable, but I've really been surprised how non-hyped 10thplanet really is. His freaking email is still @sbcglobal.net I think Eddie's "marketing" strategy is about as complicated as this: 1) Be there for every class everyday 2) Obsess about how to structure practices to make his students better 3) visit one of his academies almost every weekend 4) make his technique available to everyone on the internet for a price that probably makes little or no money 5) charge a mat fee that is about half what other schools around him charge 6) give new students a free rashguard and dvd. Funny to see people on youtube critiquing 10th planet for being a marketing gimic, then they charge ridiculous mat fees, raise the price of their online training, have affiliates they never visit, make you buy a uniform when you sign up and oh by the way let a brown belt run class for them today. Obviously there is an explanation for why the 10th planet system has caught on, I thought the other posts did a good job of that. In any event, I'm definitely just a 10th planet new comer, so what the fuck do I know? Not much
    Last edited by BIBIANO; 08-30-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sales View Post
    Can you imagine how much that asshole would charge for MTS?
    ANYONE other than Master Eddie, actually. He is giving his system away at that price.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast