Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Awesome vid. Thanks for the share. I appreciate what they contribute to the constantly evolving and expanding BJJ art/culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    That's my Toe Hold!

I love these guys, so what I am about to say should not be construed as criticism against them...

Each of these gentlemen does something in this video that 10th Planet has always taken major heat for:

1. Claimed they invented a technique (the Toe Hold from Top Side Control).
    2. Gave a technique a goofy name (Trash Removal, Rat Removal).

They won't take any heat for it, nor should they. I just think it's rather ironic. The BJJ society has generally used these types of things as excuses to discredit Eddie Bravo. It's silly. Techniques need names, and of course new techniques are going to be invented; the Brothers Gracie said so themselves in this video!

Again, I don't mean to levy any criticism against Rener and Ryron. I think what they are doing in trying to bring Jiu Jitsu to the masses is amazing and I back that 100%. I also think they are excellent teachers. I'd just like to see everyone respected equally instead of dismissed because of preconceived prejudices.
    I remember Rener doing a twister breakdown with Eddie. Maybe some behind the scenes convo happened that might've opened their eyes and helped him look beyond gi vs no gi and weed endorsement. I'm guessing for political reasons they can't be vocal supporters of Eddie, but I'm pretty sure they, and the BJJ world in general, have come to respect Eddie and 10th planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    Fortunately, the tide has shifted quite a bit in the past few years. Having Rogan and various UFC fighters shout out Eddie Bravo on occasion has helped. Having reputable competitors utilizing 10th Planet techniques has helped. Having Eddie consistently produce new videos showcasing new techniques or new spins on established techniques has helped. Having Rener Gracie bring Eddie on board for the Gracie Breakdown that covered the Twister helps. Having Jean Jaques promote Eddie (to 3rd degree?) helps. I could go on...

It's easy to dismiss someone like Eddie when he first pops on the scene talking about, "Hey get rid of the gi and everybody smoke weed" etc. But when you reach a point where he's put in more than a decade of instruction in this art, it becomes easier for people to accept that although Eddie may be different from the traditional BJJ instructor, there is a lot of validity in what he teaches.
    Good post. I agree.

Array

School
    Ronin
    In the latest MTS Eddie is showing warm up G and is pretty much got the toe hold in the same position. Min 85 MTS 67

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12