Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

People with Disability

Hey guys, My name is Jesse. I wanted to ask if there are other people that are apart of the 10th Planet has a disability. I was born with no hearing in my left ear and partial hearing in my right due to my umbilical cord being wrapped around my throat. But they did not find out until I was 5 years old. The reason why I am posting this is to find out if there other people with disability that is part of 10th Planet and what challenges you had to overcome or currently face. This is for anybody that has any type of disability. If you happen to have none but yet have a hard challenge to overcome. You can post that here and see what other people say that might help you finally overcome it. If you are not comfortable with posting your disability but want to post your experience. You can leave your disability out of the post. The challenges I have at the moment is when I am at the competition and if Brandon is there or somebody with a lot of experience is coaching. I have to take out my hearing aid so that it don't get damage and keeps getting slammed into the side of my head. So I lose the advantage of hearing Brandon or a coach. It is kinda hard to concentrate on my opponent and having to look at them to see their advice on what to do. After the round is over, is when if there is anything I did not understand is when they show what they wanted me to do or give advice for the next time something like that happens. The only thing I have to my advantage is to train as much as possible and keep rolling with the guys or ladies sometimes. Now for the non-disability challenge is the "fear". The fear of making the first move because I am afraid of maybe being caught into something I might not get out of is back again. It went away after Lonnie's Competition psychology course as part of the 3 Day seminar about 3 months back and I don't know if it is because the 1 year death of my grandmother that I had to take care of due to dementia and weak legs who I also was in the room when she gave her last two breath on Christmas Eve which was little over two weeks ago might have reset my emotions back to that time or something. But I am going to have to work through this fear once again. I can't wait to hear other people reply's to this thread and see what people has to say.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    TTT for Jesse! He's one of our hardest working guys at the gym and we're all really happy to have him as a team mate
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Good stuff Jesse. Keep your head up buddy. You got through the fear once already, you can do it again. Keep working hard and lean on your team mates.

Array

School
    Ronin/4Corners Fitness & Training
    Occasionally I'll lose a little position because I'm focusing so hard on either not ripping a mega fart, or shitting myself. I just consider it extra punishment for whatever it is I ate. If you haven't already, check out matt hammil, you could probably get some tips from him on how he adjusts for his lack of hearing.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    You are def not alone homie. I have PTSD, permanent muscle and nerve damage in my lower back and entire left leg which messes up my gait and that in turn messes up my knees. According to the docs I'll be looking at total knee replacements by the time I'm 45. I tore and had to have surgery on both knees in 2013. Currently my challenge is just being able to get back to the mats.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    True Champions become familiar with failure so they so the no longer fear it, so when faced with it they move forward regardless.

Except to fail, its part of the process.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    There is a good friend of mine, I suggest you look him up. His name is Matt Betzold. One of the greatest grapplers and Mma fighters of today. He has 1 leg. Terribly inspirational guy, will make you feel like the biggest loser. Outwork you, so positive the whole time. Amazingly talented, it's hard to be 4 weight classes above a 1 legged guy and have him mop the mats with you face every day. You think that leg is a disadvantage til you roll with him. He'll sweep you with it and choke you with it. He's got a more skilled stump than I have legs. His logo is ¿Stumped? Lol. Awesome guy.

I'm neutral toward American top team. But one thing great they have there is an all blind grappling class. Liborio's daughter was born blind, so he was inspired to start a blind class. Now blind folk travel from far to learn martial arts there.

Long and short: your not alone. Be positive and dominate the competition!

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I have one messed up hand, not as bad a Jean Jacques. Never noticed it affecting anything though (except classical guitar), its not pretty looking but it works well for everything fight related. Not sure if it counts as a disability?

One of my very best friends was born with one arm missing from just below the elbow down. He took 3rd in the state of California in wrestling one year.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Brandon Ryan from 10p Omaha has cerebral palsy. He's a trooper/soldier, a true inspiration, he even wrote a book about it "The Emotional Struggle".
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Brandon Ryan from 10p Omaha has cerebral palsy. He's a trooper/soldier, a true inspiration, he even wrote a book about it "The Emotional Struggle".
    We have a new student with Cerebral Palsey. Aaron Higginbotham. His dream is to compete. His first tournament is Feb 15
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast