Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_littell View Post
    Eddie doesn't recognize other black belts including jj machado black belts
    So what you are saying is, when a black belt in the gi comes in to HQ they shouldnt wear black belt ranked nogi gear? That they are no longer black belts when they remove the gi? Im not saying comes to get ranked under Eddie, just coming to train. If Roberto Abreu came in to HQ and wrecked shop you would tell him he shouldnt wear a black belt ranked rashguard?
    Last edited by Mike Dewitt Jr; 07-29-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    When Demian Maia steps into the cage, should Joe Rogan describe him as a white belt?

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dewitt Jr View Post
    So what you are saying is, when a black belt in the gi comes in to HQ they shouldnt wear black belt ranked nogi gear? That they are no longer black belts when they remove the gi? Im not saying comes to get ranked under Eddie, just coming to train. If Roberto Abreu came in to HQ and wrecked shop you would tell him he shouldnt wear a black belt ranked rashguard?
    He wouldn't be welcome to wear a 10th Planet BB rashie though. Only 10th Planet BB's can wear a 10th Planet rashie.
    When other BB's come to the system to train, Master Eddie usually ranks them as Brown in the 10P system.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    I see the belt as a symbol of your dedication not your skill. There is a range of ability at each belt level. Not everyone with the same knowledge has the same physical or mental level. I have a purple belt but I am also 43 with my own full time business to run so my cardio is not near that of the kids I train with. Not to mention if a big guy gets top position when I'm exhausted I get serious panic attacks. I know how to get out but other factors can superceed.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_littell View Post
    I know we don't have a standard on this but I see it on lots of pics on Facebook. I have my own opinion that you shouldn't do so but I am curious to hear others opinions.

My thought is that if you don't understand grip breaking and the nuances of the gi then it's not right to wear your no gi rank. If I were to walk into a gym and wear my black belt, I would be representing that I had a black belt understanding of the gi game, which I don't. Sure, I could beat plenty of black belts in the gi, but rank is also a representation of knowledge, not just ability.

I know it's fun to wear it but I think it's a little dishonest to do so. Cade, Sean Bollinger, and I all wear our gi rank in the gi, just to show that I'm not alone in this thinking
    I agree with Gerald and Cade and Sean. Im staying a white belt until im ranked under eddie. period, not matter what ive achieved in the gi. (which i havent achieved shit, but still) I believe you should wear the rank of your respected art. When you are participating in a different art, wear the rank you have in that art.

That said, MMA has evolved kinda different. You can wear you BJJ rank out there, your Judo black belt, your Mong Kohl (Thai headband), your Kung-Fu gold sash, whatever you want, and it gets accepted. I beleive MMA is the only place where its acceptable to wear a rank of a different art. Honestly I kinda like that in mma.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    He wouldn't be welcome to wear a 10th Planet BB rashie though. Only 10th Planet BB's can wear a 10th Planet rashie.
    When other BB's come to the system to train, Master Eddie usually ranks them as Brown in the 10P system.
    I totally understand Eddies rules, what Im asking is if a black belt in gi should not wear black belt rashguards. Thats all!
    superherojiujitsuacademy.com
    http://www.defensesoap.com/idevaffil...ate.php?id=327
    10P4L
    F&V forever
    Ps 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Ge 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
    Blackbelt 3/28/13

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    My personal opinion is that a black belt in either should wear that rank in either.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10thPlanet Oceanside
    Its pretty simple guys Im pretty sure Eddie dosent have a problem with someone coming to train wearing a black belt Rash guard repping their gym or another brand of rash guard the 10thPlanet system and gear has a different set of rules tho as Im sure everyone is familiar with. If you choose to train at a Gi school I belive the proper thing to do would be to have a talk with the instructor at the academy and get his take on it if hes cool with it then wear it if not then respect his choice and wear what he wants you to. I have a few teamates that train at high profile schools like Atos and Cobrinhas and neither one of those schools have a problem with it but its all a case by case basis.
    Last edited by Daniel Elizondo; 07-29-2013 at 02:38 PM.

First, Ryan fortin trains regularly in the gi with cobrinha. So he is not an example to use because he has both skill sets

Now, cyborg can wear his bb but he wouldn't be recognized in system. So it would be like a guest rank, like letting a judo player wear his rank in a bjj class.

As for tapping out world champion black belts, that's quite a claim. I roll with world champs regularly and they are on a while different level. They are full time athletes. It's like saying a guy from the YMCA balled up Kobe. Not gonna happe. Mi have caught one world champion once and that was after like two hundred taps to them.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Too many variables!! What should I do? I'm 5 years 100% gi but unranked, 3 years doing 50gi/50nogi, 3 years 100% no gi. I was doing some 10th planet way back in the Gi days. Lockdown was my shit even with the Gi. I have be given a blue in No Gi 10th planet. Lets say I visit a Gi class at a traditional school. Should I wear my blue belt or my white? I for sure have blue belt skills in Gi specific items such as grips and lapel chokes just not "official". I personally love wearing the white belt and getting the , "you no white belt" comment after rolling. I am very confident that nobody would question my blue belt while rolling, until they asked my linage after class. Then somebody might get bent for me wearing the blue in the gi. If I attend a no GI class at the same school the next day, can I wear a blue ranked rashie?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast