Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita

***UFC 118 SPOILER*** What does the Edgar v Penn fight mean?

SPOILER

So, I'm going to base this on the assumption that, at least for now, we can agree that Frankie is a bad matchup for BJ. I want to know what people think...is Edgar now the best LW in the world? I'm not asking about rankings, which is why I said "best" and not "#1". Do you think he is the favorite against every other LW, or is he just well suited to fight BJ with his bouncy, squirmy, overly energetic, and hard working style? I still personally think a lot of other guys could take Edgar apart, but that he is just a nightmare for BJ, while I don't think there are many other LWs that have an edge against Penn. Then again, maybe Frankie really has gotten that much better.

I feel as if Penn had no heart in that fight, & not to mention his corner was TERRIBLE. If I was in his corner I would slapped Penn silly & told him to wake up and remind em' that this dude already took his belt once before, but I'm not his corner. Hahha. Not sure if Bj is in a slump or edgar was just a bad match up for him? I hold alot of respect for Penn but he's gota get his game up! (:

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabby Bella View Post
    I feel as if Penn had no heart in that fight, & not to mention his corner was TERRIBLE. If I was in his corner I would slapped Penn silly & told him to wake up and remind em' that this dude already took his belt once before, but I'm not his corner. Hahha. Not sure if Bj is in a slump or edgar was just a bad match up for him? I hold alot of respect for Penn but he's gota get his game up! (:
    Agreed, BJ's corner should be ashamed of themselves. They were giving him motivational pep talks instead of technical advice on how to WIN. What good is a fighter whose mental game is in check if they don't have an answer the their opponent's physical game?

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Yes, I agree that his corner was horrible.

Array

School
    akka overland park
    I think that as it stands, you beat BJ penn twice, you are the best... for now. as for BJ i think his next fight will tell us a lot about where his head is at or if he still wants to do this. Don't forget he admits it himself, he is a very fickle guy. Maybe he should work out with another camp for awhile and switch things up.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    You have to like Edgars style of aggression not like most other title holders who sit back and play defense. Edgar v Maynard looks to be a brawl unless Maynard totally dominates then we get Penn v Edgar 3?

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I think Penn's corner is a clear reflection on his team and training in general. It is so clear that he needs a top camp and coach, with the PT, drilling, gameplanning, and cornering that go with it. My question, though, is about other top LWs matched up against both o them...would you generally give Edgar or Penn better odds against most opponents? In other words, for example, I still think Florian would have a good chance against Edgar, but not against Penn.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I think Edgar is for real. I see what your saying about Florian though. Ya never know and only one way to find out. We'll see if he defends.

Array

School
    10th Planet Charlotte
    The big part of BJ's camp is that most of them are his family members, and his has been with them for far to long. We see fighters all the time go from one camp to another when things become stagnant. I think also part of it is his ego. IMHO it seems like he only trains to be faster or stronger or for better cardio. But it seems that he never trains to be better, to acquire more skills, or to change his game. I think Edgar put on a great show, and fought a great points fight. I think that the LW division is going to have a lot of changes within the next year and i honestly don't see Florian, Penn, Edgar or Maynard holding the title. 2011 is the year for George Sotiropoulos!

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    The big part of BJ's camp is that most of them are his family members, and his has been with them for far to long. We see fighters all the time go from one camp to another when things become stagnant. I think also part of it is his ego. IMHO it seems like he only trains to be faster or stronger or for better cardio. But it seems that he never trains to be better, to acquire more skills, or to change his game. I think Edgar put on a great show, and fought a great points fight. I think that the LW division is going to have a lot of changes within the next year and i honestly don't see Florian, Penn, Edgar or Maynard holding the title. 2011 is the year for George Sotiropoulos!
    I agree with this post 100% from the first word to the last.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast