Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flexiblity while lifting

Any of you guys have trouble keeping flexibility while deadlifting, squatting etc in your training routine.
    By nature powerlifts tighten up your muscles to make them stronger, so its tough to train them.
    I certainly believe they have their place in training as I am an do olympic weightlifting everyday of my training, just as i do jiu jitsu.
    But I have to be careful not to do too many squats and deadlifts, or my legs stiffen up big time and my rubber guard suffers. Its not just DOMs either.

Just wondering on your experiences with this.
    I have no problem with this and olympic lifts such as clean and press and snatch, they seem to keep me flexible and strong. just squat and deadlift, even though i go ass to ground in squat

Array

School
    Serg jiu-jitsu(roberto traven savannah,ga)
    I never go ass to the ground on squats just parallel to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron pate View Post
    I never go ass to the ground on squats just parallel to the ground.
    Thats gonna limit your flexibility even more brother. Why be strong only in a limited range of motion, I go all the way down to help with flexibility and avoid injury.
    But that wasnt my question.
    You guys have problems with being tight from these exercises?

Array

School
    Monolith Sambo
    I've had some trouble staying flexible from deadlifting historically, but nowadays I make sure to stretch out once or twice a day, and I get deep tissue massages once a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
    I've had some trouble staying flexible from deadlifting historically, but nowadays I make sure to stretch out once or twice a day, and I get deep tissue massages once a month or so.
    I find Im having to do the exact same thing dude.
    I believe the benefits of squatting and deadlift is worth the extra stretching. Definatley helps clamping down on peoples posture in all positions of rubber guard.

Array

School
    DVDs and books
    I practice both squats and deadlift, but I have no flexibility problems. I make sure to jump rope before, in the middle, and after weightlifting workout. I also practice yoga twice a week. This way, i have no problems.

Array

School
    10th Planet Peterborough
    Nope. Stretch before lifting or use foam rollers and ALWAYS stretch for at least 10 minutes after. I'm only about 174 lbs and I can deadlift 325, squat 315, and bench 205, and I can still do front splits and put my foot behind my head.

Array

School
    Monolith Sambo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Doherty View Post
    Nope. Stretch before lifting or use foam rollers and ALWAYS stretch for at least 10 minutes after. I'm only about 174 lbs and I can deadlift 325, squat 315, and bench 205, and I can still do front splits and put my foot behind my head.
    The foam roller helps a lot. When I have the spare 15 minutes or so, I'll usually warm up with some jump rope and a foam roller.

It's also awesome that you're so blessed with that flexibility and strength together. I can put my foot behind my head, too, but my hamstrings are still (oddly enough) very tight. Right now, my raw maxes are about 365 on deadlift, 275 on squat, and 265 on bench, at 155lbs bodyweight. I'd like to be able to get my bench and squat over 300. I used to be able to squat over 3 before I cut a significant amount of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
    The foam roller helps a lot. When I have the spare 15 minutes or so, I'll usually warm up with some jump rope and a foam roller.

It's also awesome that you're so blessed with that flexibility and strength together. I can put my foot behind my head, too, but my hamstrings are still (oddly enough) very tight. Right now, my raw maxes are about 365 on deadlift, 275 on squat, and 265 on bench, at 155lbs bodyweight. I'd like to be able to get my bench and squat over 300. I used to be able to squat over 3 before I cut a significant amount of weight.
    265 lbs bench at 155 pounds??? God I bet that helps. You train with William Vandry?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    From my experience I don't find that power lifting reduces my flexibility, however stretching consistently and improving my flexibility definitely takes away from my max gains while power lifting. So it all depends on your main goals, if you biggest goal is to get huge and strong then you might want to cut back on the flexibility training or your squats and deadlifts will suffer a bit, but if your main goal is to be a jiu jitsu master then keep stretching and just accept the fact that your power lifting won't be 100%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast