Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ/ Brentwood BJJ

Lockdown: Kimura/Guillotine/Whip Up Combo... looking for guidance

Hey guys,

So I'm a white belt, I live in an area that doesn't have a 10th Planet BJJ School, so I train primarily in the gi, despite the fact that I'm in love with the system... (I roll no-gi whenever possible).

I read Mastering The Rubber Guard about three months ago and have fallen in love with Crack Head Control, Rubber Guard, Butterfly Guard, and (I now almost prefer the half guard position) due to the Lockdown.

From within the Lockdown, I've been having success the Kimura to Arm-In Guillotine and from there (if neither of those submissions work), I've been able to whip up (with the Guillotine) and flip them into mount. Since I've enjoyed this combo I'm wondering the following:

Is there a video online of this combo?

Is there any other similar combinations that you guys like to use (always looking to improve my sub combos/options?

Thanks for your help

hi rickdawson,

Could you give me some more details on your combo, Kimura to Arm-In Guillotine?

I use the lockdown and whip up a lot but just to sweep.

Array

School
    I'll have the lockdown, and some guys will pummel out the underhook, I give it to them and then switch it up to a Kimura (9/10 it doesn't get the submission), but I'll use that to combo in the arm-in guillotine (from the lockdown, I've never subbed anyone with it because I haven't found the way to get the necessary force), what the does is takes away (or atleast minimizes their ability to) post, so from their I'll whip my legs up and 9/10 I'll get mount or they'll get frantic and I can pull full guard with the space that they give.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Nice
    #10thplanetFREAKS

this sounds like a good way to get arm triangled

Array

School
    If you can maintain the Wrist Control from the transition from Kimura to Guillotine, it'll usually go pretty smoothly... but "no move works 100% of the time".

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Which side are you attempting the kimura? Same-side as your lockdown or opposite-side? How are you avoiding the arm triangle during the transition? I'm always looking for something new to play with from the lockdown that makes use of my long, gangly arms and if this is working for you to get to the guillotine, then I might mess with it.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hyatt View Post
    Which side are you attempting the kimura? Same-side as your lockdown or opposite-side? How are you avoiding the arm triangle during the transition? I'm always looking for something new to play with from the lockdown that makes use of my long, gangly arms and if this is working for you to get to the guillotine, then I might mess with it.
    I also have long gangly arms so I hope that this move works for you as well as it does for me.

I attempt the kimura on the SAME SIDE as the lock down.

To avoid the arm triangle I usually throw this from 2 scenarios:

When I am going to for a Kimura for guard (they some how manage to pass into half guard, I get the lock down, while I already have the Kimura attempt in play.) When the Kimura is in play, usually they have the arm getting kimura'd grabbing on their thigh or against their body to avoid it.

I'll play this when I already have the lockdown, with an underhook (on the non-lockdown side), and they attempt to pummel inside, what i'll do is quickly move the underhooked arm into a kimura attempt while CONTROLLING THE WRIST... when I go for the guillotine, I make sure to trap the arm in which I had the wrist... I use an OVERHOOK on it...

So basically, you have to make sure to keep control off an arm on both the Kimura and the Guillotine... getting a good Kimura will keep that arm pre-occupied for the guillotine attempt...

as stated before, I haven't been able to FINISH the guillotine in the lockdown, but I'll use it to either whip them to mount (as they won't be able to post as well with a trapped arm) OR I'll use it to get back into full guard... if you maintain the guillotine during the transition... you can finish it in either Mount or Guard (you're a blue belt, you can probably teach me some tricks from there)

This is slowly starting to become my goto combination... how do you like to set up the guillotine? Have you used the Marcelotine?
    Last edited by rickdawson; 12-22-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: adding in a detail

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    I think I'm getting what you're saying. I've never been very good at either describing techs or interpreting them. I'm too visual a learner when it comes to jitz I guess.

One problem I guess I could see with finishing the arm-in guillotine from the lockdown is that you're competing against yourself. To finish the arm-in, you need to do a crunch; to use the lockdown, you have to stretch your opponent out. My gut says to avoid the arm-in. If I had the key-lock grip on his right (my left) and I'm stretching my lockdown on his right leg, then I guess I would wrap his neck with my right arm using my lockdown and the wrist control I have on his right arm to help create enough space to orbit my right arm deep enough for the choke. Then I could move my left hand up from wrist control to the guillotine grip that's available. If I can, I use the inverted-gable/Marcelo/Denny Prokopos variations on the grip. If I can get my arm deep enough I have also had success with the McKenzitine. I have a harder time finishing with the standard guillotine grip and I feel like it's because I don't know how to deal adequately with my long arms in that position. The upright-row requires too much "upright" you know? I don't have any squeeze in that position. With the inverted grips I feel like I get a better squeeze all around.

I haven't been playing a lot of half guard lately, but if I find myself there I might give this a try. I don't look for kimuras or americanas very often so this will give me a good reason to pay attention to keylocks and like I said, I'm always looking for a new half-guard trick.

And that blue belt doesn't have much mat burn on it so you'll probably have more success with a grizzled old blue or at least a purple. I still have way too much to learn to be doling out advice, really. Take everything above with some salt.
    Last edited by Jason Hyatt; 12-22-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Ok just so I have this right, so you have my right leg in lockdown and you're attacking my right arm as well?
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast