Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why isn't lockdown used more in MMA + sub grappling?

Throwing this question out there because I don't train at a 10th Planet school, but obviously study the techniques. I'm really the only person at my school who uses a lockdown consistently and find a enough success w/it to the pt where I'll jump 1/2 guard, lockdown + sweep when I get frustrated w/handfighting. Was watching Brandon Vera get worked while Shogun was in his 1/2 guard and wondered why I almost never see lockdowns used. One notebale exception was rd 1 of Silva vs Sonnen 2. Silva controlled Sonnen's ground+pound for almost 4 mins using lockdown.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by RayLie View Post
    Throwing this question out there because I don't train at a 10th Planet school, but obviously study the techniques. I'm really the only person at my school who uses a lockdown consistently and find a enough success w/it to the pt where I'll jump 1/2 guard, lockdown + sweep when I get frustrated w/handfighting. Was watching Brandon Vera get worked while Shogun was in his 1/2 guard and wondered why I almost never see lockdowns used. One notebale exception was rd 1 of Silva vs Sonnen 2. Silva controlled Sonnen's ground+pound for almost 4 mins using lockdown.
    I still do not see it used a ton. But, I do see it used a hell of a lot more than say 3 or 4 years ago. They're coming around! I assume most of the high level guys are kinda stuck in their ways (which may not be a bad thing). I bet you'll see a lot of the newer guys in the upcoming years start to use it more and more. Just my opinion...

Array

School
    Basement, future hotbox Pure mma closed
    They dont know................. Thats it,,,,,,,,, they dont know.................................. and and if they did ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmnot good enough.......................

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Lockdown half is the tree trunk of my personal style.

I like playing a game that immobilizes opponents.

What top game thrives when the bottom guy has perfect under hooks lockdown?

No game.

The Electric chair is a very high percentage sweep with a pass included. Prolly more electric chairs in comp by 10p heads than any other sweep.

Don't sleep on ankle sleeves #powerful
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Rōnin
    there afraid of the Indian death lock.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    Got in a major argument on facebook about the half guard game in MMA... It got fucking ridiculous lol Gotta love the MMA mentality in NZ it's rather funny
    "Never go full retard"
    Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Periscope @10P4L

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Like someone already said, they just don't know. I mean, they might be aware, but they don't KNOW it. As in, they don't practice it. So they don't know how effective it is. I mean, a legs only lockdown saved Silva for a good deal of the first round.

I think the problem is that it's common practice to be on your side. Lockdown requires you to be flat on your back. Another problem is that I think they know the importance of the double underhooks. Like the whole time Anderson had his legs wrapped, I'm shouting for him to secure double unders. Mir had a similar problem. He wrapped up Brock Lesnar's leg, but he didn't use double unders to prevent getting punched, and neither Mir or Silva whipped up at ALL!!

I mean, securing the lockdown is step one for defense. But in my opinion, the whole lockdown series is way more offensive than defensive. It's a great defense. The guy can't land any power shots. But once you whip up, that's where the magic happens. You have so many options. And it keeps the other guy off balance so much that they're forced to defend, otherwise they're getting swept. But wait, there's more! The series has a response for pretty much every defense. Pressure in? Electric chair. Don't get the whizzer? I'll take your back. Base? Old school. Or dogfight. And so on and so on.

People are slowly catching on though. For years people kept barking about how we don't have champions, and it's ineffective. But it's still a relatively young system. Right now we're seeing a little rubber guard, twisters and trucks being used in the UFC. And a couple lockdowns. Give it time. Just like the front snap kick that Anderson used...once people see it's effective, everyone will want to use it.

I think without a large amount of experience, the lockdown can lack a bit of mobility. The lockdown in MMA is great for those with weak ground games that want to stall or neutralize ground and pound. Anderson Silva showed this against Sonnen when he held lockdown for a whole round and took very minimal damage. It is a bit disheartening that there hasn't been an aggressive lockdown player in MMA. How is deep half used more in MMA than lockdown? Makes no sense to me.

I would say the sweatiness and people not able to execute the whip up are the biggest reasons.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    I would say the sweatiness and people not able to execute the whip up are the biggest reasons.
    I'd say it's a lack of understanding of the whip up. It's like the closed guard. You generally don't go from closed guard to sweep/submission. You go from closed guard to open guard (even if momentarily) to set up the sub/sweep. Same with lockdown. It's generally not lockdown to submission. It starts with the lockdown to secure your control. But the whip up is where the fun begins.

If you think about it, when you whip up and get on your side, it's pretty much like traditional half in the sense that you're on your side with more options. But IMO, once you're on your side while still holding a lockdown, you're in a way better position than traditional half.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast