Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Don't quit. You'll never come back to it. And if you do come back, you'll be mad that you took time off.

Focus on changing up your diet and adding extra cardio. Ride you bike to the gym. 50 jumping jacks before and after class. 20 push-ups while everybody else breaks for water. Shrimp down the mat 10 times.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    Suggestion for you brotha.. don't quit your jiu jitsu.. If you want to lose weight, do 2 a days. Guarantee it'll up your game, and make you drop weight. Replace at least 1 meal with a Protein shake. Begin a workout with that 20 mile bike ride if need be, but by all means, don't put off your jits. I've seen it happen many a time, and haven't seen them back.
    I second this

Its diet, quitting jiu jitsu to do different work outs doesnt make sense when the goal is to get better at jiu jitsu

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Do you have a desk job?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidHamp View Post
    Its just frustrating when class is all drilling which is a good thing but i cant do the drills cause my body just wont do the positions...I have a decent jj knowledge but its very upseting when you can do simple things even darce chokes and such are almost impossible for me cause my arms arent long enough to get around my weight class of guys.
    Hey, you sound like the same build as me. Know what? Don't worry about it. You just need to adapt your game to suit your body type.

The good news is you have the same body type as Marcelo Garcia, and he's the best in the world.

Ever see Marcelo Darce choke anybody? No. Ever see him do an armbar from his back?

You need to focus on your butterfly guard, x guard, guillotine and omoplata. Oh, and North South choke.

You can't put a square peg in a round hole.

Array

School
    Marcos Nardini BJJ
    Mate..don't quit! Stopping Jiu Jitsu won't help you lose weight. The Kettlebells are and excellent tools..better than a long slow run any day but make sure you keep the intensity up! Take the guys advice in terms of diet, exercise, adapting your game and keep training jj even once or twice per week. You will feel so much satisfaction when you start to notice the difference mate..we all go through this for different reasons but not giving up makes it all the more satisfying when we get through it. Good luck!

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    last I checked, JJ was a pretty darn good workout!! Diet and JJ, with something like running thrown in. You just have to do it!

Array

School
    RMNU
    Don't be afraid to put on the thickest GI you can find and sweat it off.

I do bjj and kickboxing to help keep me under 230. if I quit to go workout, I can't imagine how much weight I would gain.

Do you roll at every class? 30 minutes of rolling is more exhausting than a bike ride in my book. Now if your rolling with smaller guys and just laying and smothering them, then get more active - give them a great starting position then roll. Ive been to a couple of gyms and the standard seems to be drill 30 minutes roll 30 minutes. those 30 minutes are pretty much non stop with the exception of switching partners. I don't know how your not dead, I am. It also looks like someone threw a bucket of water on the mat when I'm done rolling. Good luck to you. I can't do some of the moves that the 140 pound guys do, my hips or something doesn't work that way. I drill the armbar all the time, have never hit anyone with it, not even new people. My legs are short and thick, terrible for triangles, awesome for side control and basing out on guys.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor/ Ronin
    I'm 5'11 about 300lbs I work very hard at class Brett Sbardella will second that I have cardio and such its mostly just not being able to do certain things.Like classes that focus on mission control through those paths its pretty much me sitting out the whole time. Not cause i'm not flexible enough but my legs just arent long enough to cross another HW's back. When i work with really small guys i can get it done. I have tried to adapt as much as i can my lock down game and side control is pretty good. I just feel like now that summer is getting close i can spend more time on weight loss. I been doing this for about 3 years and have slimmed up alot i have more muscle tone than what i used to usually summer time i drop a decent amount of weight cause of how much more active i am. I want this bad i love JJ. Thinking about taking up some yoga along with the bike rides and possibly some other core strength works outs as they hit the most muscle groups and burn more calories.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast