Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin

Lockdown as a defense or escape

In the latest MTS, Master Eddie shows how to use the Lockdown to save yourself from guillotine, arm triangle, americana, and kimura. Now I've been doing my own research on how to escape those submissions and we been drilling them already. What are you guys leaning toward when it comes to escaping these submissions, traditional escapes or using the lockdown?? Which one you find more effective? Thanks Bruce

Array

School
    10th pl.-Ronin
    Well, I view it more like a positional attribute you can employ.. If you are pressured into escaping, you escape, but if the lockcdown is applied correctly, it might mean your opponents got nothing, and if he's got nothing, then you might not have to do anything extreme to escape. If I have to escape the fig 4, I would bridge, turn Away from him, and Maybe try to Granby back to guard or something. I'd risk giving my back.. But if he's got nothing, then I could go for a sweep after awhile. I'm not that good really, but this theory makes sense in my head.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    As someone who is pretty much always the smaller, weaker guy, I will say it is all about prevention. You can’t get too deep. Know the best thing to do from everywhere, sure. But sometimes if you’re really caught, the only way to escape is either in the incompleteness of the submission (a detail he doesn’t have yet) or a mistake he’s making. Staying in a position where a submission can’t be applied (like the lockdown in this case) beats trying to escape it always. For instance, if I can secure side control (the correct side) against a guillotine attempt, I won’t get choked.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    The lock down will save you. Learn to control the guy with the lock down. It is a very dynamic position. Whipping is for more than just getting to your side. The whip down will save you from a lot of submissions. You can move you opponent completely out of position with just the whip.

Of course never getting in trouble would be great. That's in a perfect world. The lockdown will save you. Practic your whip, stay mobile on your back, and don't ever count the lockdown out.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Typos...

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    At a certain level, a submission needs to be perfect. Slightest detail off, even a tiny detail, will allow a skilled opponent to escape. What makes a submission perfect is about control. If he is being controlled with the lockdown there is no sub for him.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Debes View Post
    As someone who is pretty much always the smaller, weaker guy, I will say it is all about prevention. You can’t get too deep. Know the best thing to do from everywhere, sure. But sometimes if you’re really caught, the only way to escape is either in the incompleteness of the submission (a detail he doesn’t have yet) or a mistake he’s making. Staying in a position where a submission can’t be applied (like the lockdown in this case) beats trying to escape it always. For instance, if I can secure side control (the correct side) against a guillotine attempt, I won’t get choked.
    ^^^. What he said

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    The lockdown saves your ass but it's also important to know how to get out without it too
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    so i dunno if this is mentioned yet but when in half guard, keeping your knees wide apart and wrapped up around his thigh and only using the lockdown when doing something. so he goes for the jap necktie or darce etc and as he reaches forward, apply lockdowna dn it pushes him away and makes lots of room. sometimes though ill just throw the lockdown on and really apply it hard so he gets distracted with his legs then i can focus on his upper body either getting underhooks or escaping somewhere, submissions etc.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    so i dunno if this is mentioned yet but when in half guard, keeping your knees wide apart and wrapped up around his thigh and only using the lockdown when doing something. so he goes for the jap necktie or darce etc and as he reaches forward, apply lockdowna dn it pushes him away and makes lots of room. sometimes though ill just throw the lockdown on and really apply it hard so he gets distracted with his legs then i can focus on his upper body either getting underhooks or escaping somewhere, submissions etc.
    ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast