Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouthguards

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Well since Judo/Sambo are interchangable in Russia (There are no soley Judo Clubs or Sambo Clubs) its all the same there. Being an international competitor in Judo myself I saw a number of guys wearing mouth guards, me included, however its defintely not the norm, this is more because they traditionally aren't worn. Head to Head contact or more specificly head to jaw contact happens alot more No-Gi as sweat plays a factor.

Don't wear one thats up to you, the good news is I hear Renato is always lookin for more vegetables.
    HaHa.

But Zog a mouthguard gives no protection to brain injuries does it?

I will accept that mouth injuries can occur and can be expensive to fix but there is no evidence that it offers any other protection.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    So in 2006 when I was compteting in the Sambo Swiss Open me and my buddy Dom were there repping th US and we stayed in the bunker with the Russian team that was also coached by my coach Igor Yakimov. After a long day of competiting, the Russian team desided we were going out on the town (we fought both Sambo and Combat Sambo that day and still had Submission Grappling the next day). So we head to a bar, and we were there until about 4 am when we finally got kicked out. However that was before some shit almost went down. Some locals took issue with the US/Russian connection macking on all their girls. So right as shit is about to come to blows I look over and all the guys on the Russian team are putting in fucking mouth pieces?!?!?! Luckly I was able to de escalate the situation and we left. All the Russians were cops/military and they explained they keep them with them even when they are on duty in case shit goes down. All of them said they don't leave home without one
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterm View Post
    HaHa.

But Zog a mouthguard gives no protection to brain injuries does it?

I will accept that mouth injuries can occur and can be expensive to fix but there is no evidence that it offers any other protection.
    No true at all, its the shock absorber between and mandible and the base of the skull. This is why there are so many mouthpiece companies that have names like "Brain Pad", "Shock Doctor", etc.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    So in 2006 when I was compteting in the Sambo Swiss Open me and my buddy Dom were there repping th US and we stayed in the bunker with the Russian team that was also coached by my coach Igor Yakimov. After a long day of competiting, the Russian team desided we were going out on the town (we fought both Sambo and Combat Sambo that day and still had Submission Grappling the next day). So we head to a bar, and we were there until about 4 am when we finally got kicked out. However that was before some shit almost went down. Some locals took issue with the US/Russian connection macking on all their girls. So right as shit is about to come to blows I look over and all the guys on the Russian team are putting in fucking mouth pieces?!?!?! Luckly I was able to de escalate the situation and we left. All the Russians were cops/military and they explained they keep them with them even when they are on duty in case shit goes down. All of them said they don't leave home without one
    Thats awesome!

Im going to start carrying a mouth piece in my purse.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRay View Post
    So what about the lightest/weakest person in the gym? How do they deal with the "pace"?? That's jiujitsu bro.

So what you just said is that your willing hinder your progress to get some "classroom taps"?
    the lightest weakest person in the gym is often myself at 154-156. I dont get any mercy. When I roll with new guys I use the opportunity to play bottom game and focus on technique.

It takes more than one guy deciding to roll light, so no, thats not at all what i am saying.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Sam Sales

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Rarely do I wear a mouthguard, and I never wear a cup. It's just my preference.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Im going to start carrying a mouth piece in my purse.
    You mean in your fanny pack?

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts - 10th Planet Peterborough/Troop BJJ
    Kurzy forgot to put in his mouthguard, he got a little hurt, and now is on the road to being ok. I train with him and know he's pretty good for wearing his mouthguard and even his headgear. Regarding wearing cups, all the tournaments out here ban cups so none of us wear them. I appreciate the responses from Zog and some of the more experienced guys regarding the whole discussion of never rolling without a mouthpiece and 'rolling hard'. I personally always wear a mouthguard, and it wasn't a $30 custom fitting one, it was a basic $3 mouthguard that provides enough padding in my mouth to protect me from concussions etc &i've never had an issue.

We train hard. To those people criticizing my club and how we roll, you are criticizing my instructor and I don't appreciate it. Kurzy got hurt in an accident and even said that. Feel free to come down and roll with us. You'll realize that most of the higher level guys and even the higher level, more experienced white belts, know how to roll hard but also how to roll without hurting their training partners. We're not doing ballet here, people will catch elbows and knees and shoulders in the face from time to time. I understand that some people just 'don't let people near their heads'. Roll with Stew for 5 minutes or Tim, one of our purple belts, and let me know how much fun you had keeping them away from putting pressure on your head and neck during a pass or crushing you with a dope choke.

I'm not saying don't take it easy once in a while or kill yourself everytime you train, but if it wasn't for Stew and how he has us train, guys from our club who compete wouldn't do as well as we do. So I appreciate your advice on how you think we should roll, but come talk to me when you compete as often as some of us do and train with Stew to appreciate his jiu jitsu and selfless instruction and coaching. Please don't talk about my club, telling us how to roll if you haven't trained with us. I've never been to HQ or Rochester, but from what I hear (&coach Zog confirmed this), those guys are rolling hard too.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Passini View Post
    HAHA Rolling in cash LOL. Sugar Momma paid for it since I dont have Insurance and dental work is expensive. She also didnt like the idea of me missing teeth. I dont care but she does. Plus when you are getting punched, Elbowed, kicked, and kneed in the face the investment is worth it. Plus I have to breathe out of my mouth since I cant breathe out of my nose anymore(6 broken noses and a crushed septum). Perspective: 2 retail rashgaurds = one custom mouthguard
    Whatever. You rich people make me sick.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast