Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leg Locks.

Leg Locks.

What u guys think of beginners doing leg locks?.. i personly think a strong leg lock game from the beginning of your jiu jitsu journey is so awesome, since everybody starting to go for them and none really wanna defend against them. should we all not just start crack some shins

poor english.. i dont give a fuck am danish anyway ha.!

Array

School
    3rd Wave Jiu jitsu
    I'm pretty sure Mr Herzog will have something to say about this....

I think ankle locks, knee bars and calf crushes are fine from near enough day one. Probably best to hold off on heel hooks and maybe toe holds for at least a few months.

But don't get lazy with learning to pass!

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I believe the reason they are considered dangerous is because most people are very new to them. Shoulder locks are dangerous for 2 people that are inexperienced in them. NAGA leglocks at the lowest experience division. If you look up the injuries for the past few years of NAGA, it's all shoulders, elbows,necks...leg injuries are so far down the list. Takedowns are dangerous for 2 rookies also.. So you see my stance on the "dangerous" topic.
    Barncat and I have been repping, landing, and teaching the russian knot series for many years. (You notice Barncat eating up the local experts division with it). I personally love kneebars and slicers also. Many locals schools have considered us a leglock school but we really do NOT focus on it. It's a part of the system just like everything else. You get taught the knot series when we are teaching it that day. I do kinda consider the knot to be an intermediate position. We definitely don't let people finish heelhooks in rolling. Barncat and I finish them on each other, but not the students. The heelhook is tricky, it doesnt hurt until its way too late. experience is the only way to do them safely. With that said, We embrace leglocks just like any other part of the game and a have the safest gym in our area.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    I think leg locks are very important for newer people to learn.

I like the way zog shows them, it seems like your opponent has no chance to escape so you can go slow

People get injured when a new guy who just really wants the tap gets one and then both people scramble and boom be reefs a heel hook.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Learn them right and early, less chance for injury, than sloppy ,muscle bound attempts.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    They dont work ever! practice things that work like wrist locks. That is all, thread over!

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Yockel View Post
    They dont work ever! practice things that work like wrist locks. That is all, thread over!
    Haha! I love this! I nearly fell outta my chair laughing!

Haha! Yokel is right. Nobody should be training them, they are crap. ask the Brazilians.. Lol

I love the contradictory arguments they make. "Leglocks are too dangerous" and "Leglocks don't work, just pain moves". Sometimes in the same sentence... Haha

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Are the legs weaker or are people just too stubborn when it comes to leglocks? I know for a tournament in April i refused to tap to a toe hold and I'm still feeling it. Def weaker and doesnt take much to pop it again.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Are the legs weaker or are people just too stubborn when it comes to leglocks? I know for a tournament in April i refused to tap to a toe hold and I'm still feeling it. Def weaker and doesnt take much to pop it again.
    The knee was made to fail and you dont feel much discomfort until its about too late. I believe newer people are stubborn about tapping to them (rotating leg locks) because it dosnt hurt a lot until its really on and even then its more like severe discomfort. Seems only the rotation leg locks are really dangerous in this way

I believe zog said that his guys dont do rotating leg locks until they get a blue belt. (hope Im remembering correctly)

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    The knee was made to fail and you dont feel much discomfort until its about too late. I believe newer people are stubborn about tapping to them (rotating leg locks) because it dosnt hurt a lot until its really on and even then its more like severe discomfort. Seems only the rotation leg locks are really dangerous in this way

I believe zog said that his guys dont do rotating leg locks until they get a blue belt. (hope Im remembering correctly)
    Yup, the focus for rookies should be masting the positions of control. I only allows my blues and up to do rotational leg locks.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast