Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Marks View Post
    Question? What dictates when the fight is over...the ref or the tap? I remember an interview with Herb Dean after the Henderson Pettis fight where he stated that he did not hear the verbal submission but said that the correct process would have been to wait for him to stop the fight. Now, Pettis showed good sportsmanship (which I agree with). But, Palhares is getting a lot of flack for not releasing after tap and only when the ref intervened (actually not even then) but that raised this question for me.
    They are told by the referees pre fight not to stop fighting until the ref steps in. )

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    the ref is the only person that can officially stop the fight so im not surprised that some refs may give that instruction prefight. I think what David Rosado said still stands.

Sam Sales

yeah if I felt someone tapping I would let go even if the ref hadn't made his way to us yet. Plus it's ufc ffs Paul Harris. It's gonna be on camera somewhere if they tap LOL.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    That's a great way to throw away a fight winning opportunity sam, always stay on the sub til the fights won mate.
    Last edited by Chris Garry; 10-14-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    That's a great way to throw away a fight winning opportunity sam, always stay on the sub til the fights won mate.
    Would you crank it full blast after feeling the tap? Or would you just hold it until the ref intervenes?

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Would you crank it full blast after feeling the tap? Or would you just hold it until the ref intervenes?
    That's too hypothetical a question to give a straight answer.

In a pro fight where I'm being paid to provide a service I may crank it after the tap in certain circumstances. Not in a grappling match but a pro fight then maybe.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sales View Post
    yeah if I felt someone tapping I would let go even if the ref hadn't made his way to us yet. Plus it's ufc ffs Paul Harris. It's gonna be on camera somewhere if they tap LOL.

This would be great if the refs went to instant replay to confirm, but currently there is no policy in place to allow for it. It might be good for gym talk but it could still cost you the fight if they b-tap.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    That's too hypothetical a question to give a straight answer.

In a pro fight where I'm being paid to provide a service I may crank it after the tap in certain circumstances. Not in a grappling match but a pro fight then maybe.
    I'm interested. I don't think it's that hypothetical. What circumstance would lead you to decide to crank full blast after the tap?

I'm not a fighter so I'm interested in your perspective. I figure hold it, sure, to make sure you don't have an idiot ref and a brazilian tapper, but full blast cranking as you feel them tapping you like 6 times? What circumstance makes sense for that?

Thanks for your input man.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    I think re watching this kind of settles it my mind. If you look at the Mike Pierce fight as a isolated incident it's kind of debatable about him holding to long or letting go or not increasing pressure after the tap and so on. But taking this fight and his of odd behavior on top of hurting the guy in adcc and Bustamante's statement I think Dana took that in to consideration and was justified in his decision.
    Last edited by Jonathan Wylie; 10-14-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Ronin
    formerly known as jmw0582

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast