Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    cobra kai

Really need help with my butterfly guard

I've been trying to incorporate butterfly guard into my game and have been watching
    some videos on butterfly guard by Michael jens and Stephen kesting.
    I have a good grasp on foot positioning, under hooks/over hooks, and head placement.
    The problem is being able to control my opponents body and posture. They seem to get
    out my under hook fairly easily. Do you guys have any tips or insight on this?

Thanks in advance.

When you're setting up a butterfly sweep make sure to keep both knees always pointing outwards. If you're knees come in then they can easily escape your hooks and flatten your legs by pushing on your knee - if it points outward it makes it hard to flatten the leg.

Also, sometimes butterfly guard isn't appropriate (like when the guy stands) so you need to be able to flow between different guards with ease.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    I am the master of butterfly sweeps. I feel the best way to control the body and sweep is via homie control. Overhooks are also good, but you have to develop good control and squeeze with the overhook. Try to angle your body towards the side that is not overhooked. This will make it much harder for your opponent to get out. Marcelo Garcia is amazing at butterfly sweeps. His style is not very clinch oriented. There is so much nuance in using butterfly sweeps. It's like an art unto itself.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    2 on 1 marcelo style sweeps from butterfly guard is my new shit!!!

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Yockel View Post
    All day!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I'm not too good at straight up butterfly but open guard butterfly sweeps I'm pretty decent at.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Yockel View Post
    Thanks for the heads up lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    When I have trouble controlling big, strong guys there.. I try to get double unders and force them to pummel.. when they do I clamp the arm and sweep. I also love setting up X guard and single x sweeps from there in case they start pushing my head away.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Gates View Post
    Thanks for the heads up lol
    Dam!!!

Array

School
    cobra kai
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Ho View Post
    I am the master of butterfly sweeps. I feel the best way to control the body and sweep is via homie control. Overhooks are also good, but you have to develop good control and squeeze with the overhook. Try to angle your body towards the side that is not overhooked. This will make it much harder for your opponent to get out. Marcelo Garcia is amazing at butterfly sweeps. His style is not very clinch oriented. There is so much nuance in using butterfly sweeps. It's like an art unto itself.
    what do you mean garcia's style isn't very clinch oriented? i mean, what does he do instead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast