Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Lotus club jj miami

training no-gi with a gi?

So im moving a little more up north where the jj seen is better. the problem is the new gym is gi 2 times a week. and i dont want to train jj twice a week only and one open matt day. i want to continue going 5 times a week. now since i DONT want to waste my time doing collar chokes and lapel grips; im going to play my no-gi game with a gi on. Whats your guys take on this? and will this cause any harm to my game or help it? annnddd any tips on this situation?

Array

School
    HQ
    Marcelo works his no-gi grips while training in the gi. The more you train, whether it's gi or no-gi, your game will improve.

Array

School
    Combat Society
    It works for me. You'll end up with people controlling you with your gi all the time, which is unavoidable unless they're also training no-gi in the gi. Just keep training as much as possible and you'll improve. I think there's even a possibility that it's a good thing for your no-gi game because it makes you more technical - you can't rely as much on strength and being slippery to help escape things. Although I've never hit a d'arce in the gi due to the extra material and friction, so my no-gi d'arce game if suffering.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    I have the same exact problem right now. Same exact number of training days and in the gi. Luckily I do mma classes before the jiu jitsu classes and get in a bit of no-gi with strikes. So I just decided to learn it all since I love grappling. If I am training specifically for a fight then I will do 100% no-gi grips or have to find a way to travel to multiple gyms to get in more no-gi mat time.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Forgot to mention meeting up with classmates outside of class to get in more work on stuff and mat time. That is what we are starting to do. You can get a little bit of mileage out of cheap wal-mart 1/2 inch thick puzzle mats. Just cant take down hard or anything. My bjj class is new to the area so we need more people joined before we can get more days in. Keeps everybody wanting more and always coming to class.

Array

School
    Lotus club jj miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Marshall View Post
    Forgot to mention meeting up with classmates outside of class to get in more work on stuff and mat time. That is what we are starting to do. You can get a little bit of mileage out of cheap wal-mart 1/2 inch thick puzzle mats. Just cant take down hard or anything. My bjj class is new to the area so we need more people joined before we can get more days in. Keeps everybody wanting more and always coming to class.
    i actually have like a 1 car garage size amount of decent matts. but since i have to move most of my buddies who train 10p on the side, wont be able to drive to my garage anymore. i wish you lived in southern FL, we could train together lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    You'll be fine. Just don't develop a gi dependent game. Refuse to grab the thing. It can be a defensive tool for you in some respects, so learn what it has to teach you.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Lotus club jj miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    You'll be fine. Just don't develop a gi dependent game. Refuse to grab the thing. It can be a defensive tool for you in some respects, so learn what it has to teach you.

thank you. for sure i wont be changing my game to a tug-of-war style game. and ive talked to the coach already, hes cool. hopefully hes open minded and doesnt give me a hard time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    I train in a Gi twice a week. I dont ever grab kimono or pants. Just roll the same way as u roll in no gi. Some training is better than no training

Array

School
    Lotus club jj miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Serge Bunimovich View Post
    I train in a Gi twice a week. I dont ever grab kimono or pants. Just roll the same way as u roll in no gi. Some training is better than no training
    so true. did it help your nogi game trainin nogi with a gi? since you have more experience then i do with the whole situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast