Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin

Break down this vid for me please.

Trying to get ready for yet another tournament in Dallas, Tx. This time Cora will be fighting in the 80-89 lbs div and those boys are tough and fast. So we have to get ready. So please help me break down this video. I know that with more time, she could tap this boy out, but end up losing by a pass.

Array

School
    Lotus club jj miami
    I would say. Rep a lot of Lockdown, Stomps and quarter guard. But hey, im technically a white belt.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    Do you want a breakdown for Gi purposes? If that's the case I think I can help a little.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    First of all, she tried to pull guard without the proper grips, and the boy ended up on her open guard. I think this was the one mistake that cost her the fight. I understand she lost because of that pass at the end, but bear with me.

Of course I can't say anything for sure, since I don't know her (I've seen plenty of her videos on YouTube though, and this girl is a NoGi beast), but it appears to me she doesn't have a lot of experience playing open guard. Other than that, I can't see many flaws/openings in her game.

Her quarter guard was pretty good, and after she established the Lockdown, she was home. I'm not qualified to talk about her 10th Planet, but I think you said it yourself, on the last thread, that her Electric Chair was kinda "green". I agree, but I'm pretty sure you can work on that no problem. This girl has a lotta heart. It's beautiful to watch her fights.

Also, it appeared to me she was desperately trying to recover full guard, probably to start working her rubber guard. She didn't look at all comfortable in the Lockdown, and I'd say that was a problem. Most Gi-oriented gyms don't give attention to the half-guard, and that kid was no exception. You can see he was trying to hold, and appeared to be totally lost in her Lockdown. If your girl is gonna compete in the Gi, she could work her Lockdown to have a huge advantage over pretty much everyone outside 10th Planet.

If I understand it correctly, Cora has an awesome rubber guard, and she tries to apply it in the Gi. In my opinion, the problem was her eagerness. Every time I watch her fights, I can see she is submission oriented. It appeared to me that she tried to pull guard ASAP to start working towards a submission. Her eagerness to pull guard made her "slip", and she ended up in the open guard. I'd say she needs to work on getting proper grips in the Gi if she wants to pull guard quickly. She needed a foot on his hip to pull guard properly, and all she got was a grip-break with her right foot.

I'm not saying she lacks the technique: I'm saying she needs patience and focus. I understand she is used to NoGi, but if she wants to compete in the Gi, she needs to slow down until she gets the proper grips. After she pulled guard, she can unleash the beast.

That's, of course, my own opinion. I've been training in the Gi for 3 years now, so don't take my opinion too seriously. That being said, I'd love to see this girl become the best of the best.

Array

School
    blank
    one thing

from open guard at the beginning, as soon as her opponent grabbed her knee to push it down i think she should be ready to control his sleeve and keep working DLR (if she is comfortable from there)

When she went away from de la riva in the beginning she should have went foot in bicep on that same side as the de la riva hook, that way he couldn't pass w/out getting rid of that

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    since the other seem to have covered most of it already, i think what she needs to work on is getting that electric hook in when in half guard. I know shes still green but this is just what i see. you know its all positive criticism. getting the electric hook means lots of whip ups and whip downs etc. maybe we could ask magnus to put up some of his electric chair stuff using the gi, he taught me some beautiful entries that would have helped here bt i cant remember them well enough.

basically though, getting that hook in under the leg and threatening with a dogfight is the best way to stuff around with them in lockdown.

the first mistake is that she went and got the angle with her legs which pushed her body up against the boys thigh and cut down the space in which she can get the hook, if she went the other way and got on her shoulder first then she has a much bigger gap to use, (pretty much go to grab his bum and then slice it up to his knee) if she is on that side and he is controlling her and she cant get to the other side then what she can do is whip to the side by upper cutting her arm and then when he is off balance, blast her up under for the hook, she had the chance quite a few times but isnt use to grabbing it yet. ( in gi you can grab their belt to help control them and whip them.)

second mistake is that she only had her lockdown extended. 1. this means that she has less movement herself and 2. if you keep a kind of butterfly stretch its harder to get out of your lockdown (your legs can hook theirs at better angles and are closer to the butt so its harder to twist their legs out) and you can use the extension to stop them from mounting any offense. (stretch your legs out and they lose their base) 3. extending your legs and keeping them out will gas them quickly. butterflying them keeps your strength only using them for little bursts.

she also needs to calm down in electric chair, imo she went into stoner control too quickly and didnt control the leg enough and thats why he got out. in more detail, she needs to keep a stronger neck and make sure that shes twisting his leg. this will help lock the leg on the shoulder. next step is also be aware of getting up to her hand, this will make him more unbalanced.

next thing is remember what eddie said on JRE. if you think youre going to lose the leg, roll back on to your back and reset the leg. she also lost the lockdown when doing the sweep. get those leg curls in and squeeze that leg tight. also remember that you can use your legs still to destroy his base. let the pressure off for a second and then smack them back on.

as breifly mentioned before, threatening with dogfight is a proper threat. having him help you move in the right direction is a massive boost. for someone who is aware of the electric chair sweep (everyone these days) it was clear she was aiming for it the moment she got lockdown. get double unders, get onto the shoulder get the hook, threaten wtih dogfight by pushing into him (and if he goes with it, smash him with dog fight) when he pushes back then swing back, flow with go. the moment your flat on your back, swing those legs over. thats how you get the momentum to stop them basing properly.

thats all i can really say about it atm, remember gi grips are great for lockdown aswell. she can grab his pants in the electric chair sweep. sucks that she lost but great to see her always improving. hope this helped.

BTW im pretty sure what i said is all correct but if someone, especially higher belts would like to correct me feel free.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Thank you everyone for helping. We will try to work on those things this week as she has another tournament in dallas this sat. She is jumping into a higher weight div so this will come in handy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    If it was me i would start with mastering 1/4 guard and open guard sweeps. and instead of just jumping guard try to hit throws and takedowns to set up guard pulls. it makes it a lot easier.

Array

School
    HQ
    If you're playing open guard, break the pant grips first; spider guard is your friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast