Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homework advise for a white belt

I did a search of the forum first and read a bunch of threads on white belt advise, and found a lot of information but still have some questions and was hoping the more experienced guys could give some more specific advise. I'm coming up on 6 months on the 17th of this month. It has been an equally fun and difficult experience so far. Have had a lot of nights driving home feeling like an idiot for not picking up the warm ups fast enough in class despite watching them 5 times that day. And getting smashed since getting cleared for rolling hasn't been the easiest thing either despite having a sometimes large weight advantage on guys. This has been the most challenging sport I have ever attempted. None of it comes easy. I think one of my problems is I don't quite understand the basic concepts of the art. Also I have half-assed much of my time and I think that has definitely set me back as well. I am a builder and am trying to build a business, and I began training at the peak of my busy season, and was severely out of shape to begin with (still am) which made it convenient to say I'm too tired after swinging a hammer all day to make it to class. I'm not opposed at all to struggling through this difficult period and earning success, but it seems to me that I am not picking up technique as fast as I should be.

So in regard to advise I would ask where I should focus my homework. I do a considerable amount of research everyday and am trying to tackle some of my problems from an academic perspective. One issue is retaining what I watch or read. I try and write down or record video clips on my phone that I think will be helpful, but I can never seem to get in that position when rolling to even attempt it, or I will mix up different techniques from the MTS videos or draw a complete blank at a certain step and end up swept or mounted or in a submission in my attempt. Also if you have any specific advise for a taller guy (6'8'') as to what may work better for my body type and what area to focus on in that regard, I would greatly appreciate that too.

Thank you for any advise. I should also mention that the guys at Empire (10th Planet Rochester) have been nothing but cool and helpful from day 1 and I've really appreciated that. And watching them all smash at competitions on youtube has really encouraged me as well.I have a certain dislike for not being good at what I do, and its starting to really bug me when it comes to my jiu jitsu given the time I've spent so far in and out of class.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    I'd have two "go to" sweeps or escapes from every defensive position, especially the ones you end up in most. For me I get stuck in side control and either try to jailbreak or 25 cent. Use static drilling with a partner and make sure to do perfect reps. Hit those sweeps/escapes in live rolls. Just that will take a good amount of time and work.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Jean Jacques Machado quoted as saying that it takes about two years for an average practitioner to get to a point where they understand jiu jitsu. By that point, they'll have been in the positions at least a few hundred times to know what they should or shouldn't do and they can begin to generate quicker responses. The reflexes might not quite be there, but the awareness begins to be built. I'm about 2.5 yrs in and at 2 yrs, oddly enough I just started seeing huge strides in just knowing where I am, where I need to be, and what I can/can't allow to happen. Now it's about sharpening for the next 60 odd years

So I guess my advice, which isn't that unique, is to stay consistent. There will be highs and lows, peaks and valleys, breakthroughs and pitfalls, but through it all, we grow stronger, healthier, more knowledgable, more humble, and easier to deal with in everyday life. Just by adopting jiu jitsu as a mindset and a lifestyle beyond the class will feed itself 1000x over.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 02-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Daniel, it sounds to me like you've experienced a lot of success in your life with regard to sports. Now you find yourself struggling, and that is unfamiliar territory. You are now experiencing what the 5'5" 125 lb guy experiences his whole life. The only difference is, the little guy is used to it and you are not.

The path to Jiu Jitsu competence is a long one, I suggest you stop worrying about not being good at it and getting tapped by smaller guys. Just go to class as often as you can, and try to accept the fact that you suck at it. Eventually, if you don't give up, you won't suck anymore.

A common saying in JJ is "A black belt is just a white belt who never gave up".

The others here might be able to give you specific pointers on how to approach the learning, how to optimize your practice, etc, but most of that is not going to solve your real problem. It's hard, and you suck, and that's not going to change quickly. The sooner you accept this, the easier it will be to progress.

In other words, your own frustration is inhibiting your learning.

If you really want it, stay after it. And try not to concern yourself that it's hard and you are not good at it. Be patient and try not to worry about it. You're wearing a white belt for a reason, just try to have fun and keep going to class.

Keep going to class.
    Keep going to class.
    Keep going to class.

If you take that advice, and stick with it long enough, I promise it will eventually work itself out.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 02-07-2015 at 09:08 PM.

At this stage you will get the most 'bang for your buck' by studying escapes and not letting guys control you. Side mount escapes, mount escapes, back escapes, learn what good posture is inside guard. Focus on just 2-4 moves from each of these positions, moves that combine well, and drill them until you are blue in the face.

Don't be too hard on yourself, believe in yourself and be patient. I take notes at home after class all the time and I take notes while watching dvd's. You don't have to be ADCC champ to enjoy this either, you may be content just rolling twice a week or something and focusing on your career. Stretch and take care of your body.

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA
    ive recently started training jiu jitsu way more recently, ive been involved with bjj for around 3 years and what helped me is what the guy above said, have a couple go to sweeps and escapes from every position and then build off of that, dont get lost in the bjj universe, find out what type of game is best suited for your body type and then build from there. and also like craig said ..... go to class....go to class... go to class...rest... then go to class.. the moment things start to click it will be very beautiful and worthwhile..good luck bro..

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    Can prob only count on one hand the number of 10thpjj bashers I get these days, even before MEtamoris III alot of folks who knew I was a fan would give props to the system. As for the whole gi vs nogi debate, I still get the occasional person who swears by the GI to benefit MMA and self defense, but I don't let that become a hot topic at any point (it's almost like religion or sexual orientation, everyone will believe and chose to do what they do). I do enjoy it from time to time when someone asks me to explain my HG game or the truck.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by HerbChao View Post
    I don't let that become a hot topic at any point (it's almost like religion or sexual orientation, everyone will believe and chose to do what they do).
    I agree that gi vs nogi can get as heated as the other topics you mentioned. I've ever come across a heated organic vs non organic food debate. IDGAF if you like gi or nogi, traditional BJJ or 10PJJ, that's your preference, same with organic or inorganic food preference. I've seen someone state how "immoral" it is to eating non organic food and now that this came up, I even remember a guy who came to my gym once who said "practicing 10th Planet is disrespectful to Royler." I actually face-palmed, but I should have double face-palmed.

Quote Originally Posted by HerbChao View Post
    Can prob only count on one hand the number of 10thpjj bashers I get these days, even before MEtamoris III alot of folks who knew I was a fan would give props to the system. As for the whole gi vs nogi debate, I still get the occasional person who swears by the GI to benefit MMA and self defense, but I don't let that become a hot topic at any point (it's almost like religion or sexual orientation, everyone will believe and chose to do what they do). I do enjoy it from time to time when someone asks me to explain my HG game or the truck.
    I'm pretty sure my questions had nothing to do with the gi vs nogi debate or who you were a fan of. None of that had anything to do with what I asked. Thanks anyways?

For the guys who responded appropriately, thank you. For the record, getting tapped by guys does not bother me, I know their killers and I'm not. Its not picking up the technique as competently or comprehensively as I believe I should have at this point. I will take your advice and just give it time and more consistent effort.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    dude, you train at Rochester?? Just show up to class and listen to Zog. oh yeh, did I mention listen to Zog. You will be fine if you stick to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast