Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

beating a wrestler

why is it that wrestlers are so godamn tough? me and my friend were hanging out in the backyard on the tramp tonight talkin about martial arts. he was captain of the wrestling team and showed me some wrestling and i was showed him some jui-jitsu and muy thai.

I asked him if he wanted to roll and he said ya. the first time we rolled i tried and armbar, kimura, and guillatine but couldn't sink anything. On my triangle attempt he pushed my legs over, passed into side control, then kesa gatame (however the hell you spell that) and pried my arm from his body and figure foured his legs on my arm and pulled off that fancy little armbar. the second time it was a stalemate, but I couldn't sink anything!!

It really pissed me off that I couldn't tap him. wrestlers are tough as hell and even when I'm rolling with them at the gym I have serious problems. Any advice on beating a wrestler?

do no gi jiu jitsu i have the same probs cuz u nvr learn how to keep em down unless u rely on the gi if you work on over hooks and underhooks and your sweeps you should be good

why the hell is there a tenth planet in yuma but not tucson? isn't tucson a bigger city??

were part of an athletic club that teaches everything
    but hey thats a good point look into making one or asking someone to open a hotbox
    also work on leg locks alot i heard they suck defending em

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Short of developing nasty technique or the same physical machinery that wrestlers develop from tons and tons of hard core training you're gonna need some neat tricks. I like to sit up and act like I'm trying to sink a guillotine from guard. While really trying to sell the choke attempt I'll slowly slide my knee up his ribs on the same side as the arm I'm faking the choke with to get his elbow away from his body(do not push hard, be sneaky or you'll give away your intent) and quickly switch to the 100% when I've created enough space. It works a lot but obviously once you hit it you'll need a new trick the next time.

Also wrestlers are notoriously hard to sweep from guard since they like to hunker down over your hips and they have serious base.
    I've noticed that if you get out from underneath them into a "correct half guard position" they're not nearly as effective and much easier to put on their backs which is really the way to go against wrestlers.

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    captain of the wrestling team, he probally has more grappling experience than you

just keep training,either that or start wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan_Karam View Post
    Short of developing nasty technique or the same physical machinery that wrestlers develop from tons and tons of hard core training you're gonna need some neat tricks. I like to sit up and act like I'm trying to sink a guillotine from guard. While really trying to sell the choke attempt I'll slowly slide my knee up his ribs on the same side as the arm I'm faking the choke with to get his elbow away from his body(do not push hard, be sneaky or you'll give away your intent) and quickly switch to the 100% when I've created enough space. It works a lot but obviously once you hit it you'll need a new trick the next time.

Also wrestlers are notoriously hard to sweep from guard since they like to hunker down over your hips and they have serious base.
    I've noticed that if you get out from underneath them into a "correct half guard position" they're not nearly as effective and much easier to put on their backs which is really the way to go against wrestlers.
    quickly switch to the 100%? 100% choke? Or is that a 10th planet term? or am I just a total retard?

Array

School
    On the search
    Mat time. If you've got more mat time then you've got the edge. That and wrestlers are just tough son's-of-bitches. Train for it.

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park
    @Zaya chances are he has more mat hours in wrestling than you do in BJJ. I say that because you said he was a team captain. So you know he didn't get there just by showing up a couple times. How long have you been doing BJJ? if it is less than half the mat hours he has what do you expect to happen? So you can't say wrestlers are so tough you have to say hey I need more time on the mat. I hope that helps with your question.

Array

School
    10th Planet jiu jitsu Orange park
    oh and under your school you spelled Jiu Jitsu wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast