Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    dans a great fighter
    i was lucky enough to train with him a couple times!
    battle of the mohawks right here ^^^^

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton lawrence View Post
    battle of the mohawks right here ^^^^
    Best response of the morning.

Array

School
    blank
    i'm not saying anything about whether or not size was the reason hardy lost but i like the adcc changing to same day weigh-ins. i think mma should consider moving to this system as well.

why not remove a potential size advantage altogether? seems a tad ridiculous to put fighters at a disadvantage for not wanting to seriously dehydrate themselves.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    I'd rather see technique beat size than making sure each fighter is the same height and width.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Chavez View Post
    I'd rather see technique beat size than making sure each fighter is the same height and width.
    I agree 100% Freddy, but with all things being equal in skill, attributes like size and strength do matter unfortunately, hence the necessity of the weight classes. I wish they'd do same day weigh ins. Weight cutting should not be a part of martial arts in my opinion. But that's just me talking.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Yeah again some of you are steering away from the subject with the wrestling, and abilities of the fighters etc. You can have an mma match with 2 fighters that both have 0 wrestling ability with one cutting from 230 to 170. How about now? There is no more Hardy in the argument, there is no more wrestling in the argument. Defend the weight cutting one more time for me, I think I am slow because still don't get it.

Array

School
    Impact and 10th Planet Portland
    i hate the weight cutting bullshit, shouldn't be part of the sport past a few pounds. when you hook up to an IV after weighing in it's just fucking stupid.

Array

School
    Finney's in St. Louis! H.I.T. Squad in Granite City!
    Definitely agree that weight-cutting is ridiculous... But if the UFC had same-day weigh-ins, GSP would have to move up... actually a lot of fighters would...
    But, that's gotta take something outta ya to cut weight like that... Look at Frankie Edgar. He doesn't cut weight and his speed/stamina show it! there's advantages and disadvantages to it...

How would they enforce a no IV rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    i'm not saying anything about whether or not size was the reason hardy lost but i like the adcc changing to same day weigh-ins. i think mma should consider moving to this system as well.

why not remove a potential size advantage altogether? seems a tad ridiculous to put fighters at a disadvantage for not wanting to seriously dehydrate themselves.
    2 Reasons we wont see day of weigh ins. one is business, the other is safety.

Business wise, you would have guys miss weight more (trying to cut too much, and missing being on a card/canceling a fight) and safety wise, its dangerous to have a still-dehydrated fighter getting hit in the head (the fluid in the skull cushioning the brain needs to be regenerated) and risking health, big time.

Its a matter of time though, before a guy who over does the cutting, gets into a dog fight, gets hit too many times, and dies directly from this. Often in boxing when a guy dies, it can be traced to taking a fight on shorter notice, and losing/cutting a good deal more weight than usual for a fight in short order. Boxers of course cut weight, but no where near as much for the most part (lose too much safety/functionality in doing so) whereas wrestlers are great weight cutters, but in wrestling......you dont get hit. I dont think a hydration test would be the worst thing to ever happen in MMA though (to keep the cuts to say 5%) but I wont hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by prowess View Post
    Definitely agree that weight-cutting is ridiculous... But if the UFC had same-day weigh-ins, GSP would have to move up... actually a lot of fighters would...
    But, that's gotta take something outta ya to cut weight like that... Look at Frankie Edgar. He doesn't cut weight and his speed/stamina show it! there's advantages and disadvantages to it...

How would they enforce a no IV rule?
    No GSP would not have to move up. He doesnt cut a ton of water, and I have seen, with my own eyes a guy make 170, and then fight at 191 the same night with same day weigh ins. The thing is it would be dangerous as hell in a high level pro fight (the fight I mention was amatuer and the guy had a mismatch advantage, so its not like he had to fight a long time, just crushed the other guy).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast