Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hollywood

Belt system in 10th planet.

Why don't 10th planet members wear belts but are given belts? Also, do you have to pay everytime you get a new belt?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Because wearing a belt without a Gi is just silly. And no you shouldn't be paying for a promotion.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

unless that belt is holding your pants up.

Belts aren't "given" they're earned, and you pay with blood and sweat. (If you pay with tears well that's just gay)

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    An honest answer because belt promotion is great way to to see where you stand in terms of skill and experience. It is a visual and tangible way of showing someone their milestones and great motivator to those training. Eddie saw this, and while he eliminated the gi of traditional BJJ he kept the rank system to assess his students and motivate to train to reach their max potentials and reach the highest level possible. As for charging people for promotions, well that's just plain fucking stupid.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    (If you pay with tears well that's just gay)[/QUOTE] that's funny

Array

School
    10th Planet Hollywood
    i c...

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    One thing I love about 10P is that they don't charge for belting. I have trained at clubs that charge anywhere from $60 to $80 for sub-blackbelts, and once you get testing for degrees, you're talking $600 to $700.
    (Local, no need to charge that amount of cash)

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha/ SIMS Martial Arts Academy
    i wear my belt all the time

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Spalla View Post
    An honest answer because belt promotion is great way to to see where you stand in terms of skill and experience. It is a visual and tangible way of showing someone their milestones and great motivator to those training. Eddie saw this, and while he eliminated the gi of traditional BJJ he kept the rank system to assess his students and motivate to train to reach their max potentials and reach the highest level possible. As for charging people for promotions, well that's just plain fucking stupid.
    I think this was very smart play on Eddie's part. I was opposed to the belts when I started. $80 and a special day for testing for me to get a belt to prove to others that I new the things that I new. I new where I was at and that was all that mattered. And I was in it for physical fitness and self defense. A thug in a street fight doesn't give a rats ass what belt you have.I never had plans on getting a belt so I could teach, so to me it was pointless. I loved the idea of visiting a school as a white belt, I had no pressure to live up to my belt, I could just relax and learn. Now, when the people that I help with BJJ make progress and work hard, I feel sad/selfish that I could not offer them the belt recognition that they really deserved. All people are different and require different motivations. Some are like I was, but others really need that positive reward of recognition. I now make sure to take time during class to mark those milestone with a "fake" belt promotion suggestion. Can't say as I would want a do over, but I do feel in some ways I'm letting these people down who are working very hard to learn just for the sake of learning, nobody's doing it just for the belt, cause the can't get one, and those are exactly the people who deserve to get one. I can't say it enough, Kudos to Eddie and his forward thinking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast