Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Star jiu jitsu/ formerly of 10th planet sherman

When did you stop being a noob

This thread isnt about gaining rank or anything like that. Instead it's about when you felt you had a reasonable overall grasp of jiu jitsu. Ive been rolling / learning for a solid 10 months now, I know many sweeps,submissions,transitions,takedowns,reversals and play most guards well but I just never feel I know enough. I competed once but I have yet to get the chance to test my skills...

Array

School
    Iron Fist Gym
    I say after your full first year you can shed Noob status. That's around when I started feeling non noob. But there is always someone around the corner ready to make you feel like a noob again lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy l View Post
    This thread isnt about gaining rank or anything like that. Instead it's about when you felt you had a reasonable overall grasp of jiu jitsu. Ive been rolling / learning for a solid 10 months now, I know many sweeps,submissions,transitions,takedowns,reversals and play most guards well but I just never feel I know enough. I competed once but I have yet to get the chance to test my skills...
    Took me at least a year to finally feel like I had a good solid foundation to rely on. I realized this when I didn't have to think as much while rolling but with the same results. Of course you can never know enough because there's always something new, something to learn. If you want to test yourself, just grapple higher belts that are stronger than you.

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    i think were all noob til purple belch

I'm not trying to claim being anything above the noob status here, but the feeling of knowing that the new guy in class can't do anything but tap out is fucked up! When I boxed, new guys don't take long to figure out how to jab and circle if they get outgamed..but there's no running in jiu jitsu. Not sure whether or not thats an indication of my shedding of the noob status though because I feel useless against most blues..

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Ill quit feeling as much like a noob when I get that blackbelt
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Jigsaw Martial Arts - Edmonton
    yep sam still feel like a noob myself... when the ibjjf and the adcc are putting gold coloured medallions around my neck

The levels of noobdom vary. For example, when someone new comes to your class and you roll with them, and you have 10 months to 2 years of experience, then you see how much of a noob they are. However, in that same class you roll with someone who has 2 to 5 years of experience and you recognize that you are your own noob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast