Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Soul Fighters Academy / Best Way
    Well, I see jui-jitsu as a sport.

It's not a great approach for street fighting. 1.) if the guy has a friend, you are going to get stomped while you are messing around on the ground, 2.) If they guy has a knife, you won't have a lot of opportunity to see him deploy it and you have little defense to stop it, 3.) strangling a random guy in a bar fight will land you in jail.

Array

School
    Ronin
    1) if the guy has a friend your chances are not any better standing
    2)If the guy has a bat your chances are worse standing then closing the distance to grapple
    3)you will go to jail just as fast for knocking somebody out as you will choking them out Im pretty sure the law doesnt differinciate actually I take that back takeing a 30 sec nap does not look as bad in court as a broken jaw, black Eye, Busted lip and so on.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Ronin
    Im not arguing that you should not avoid a fight if at all possible and my personl firt line of self defense is a 9mm but like I said to just dismiss Jiu Jitsu as a viable self defense is redicules.

Array

School
    10thPlanet Oceanside
    Any type of streetfighting if risky
    1.) If the guy has a friend your probably going to get jumped, lets be real its not a Bruce Lee movie
    2.) If a guy has a knife even if your standing you still dont have a great chance to stop him
    3.) Koing a random guy standing up with a punch, knee, or kick will land you in jail just as easily. The bottom line is you need to be ready to defend yourself in any situation yes you need to be able to stand up fight and know what to do on the ground as well in a streetfight you can be screwed standing or on the ground anyone that says its usless on the street is crazy it definatly will and dose work it all just depends on the situation
    Last edited by Daniel Elizondo; 09-17-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Eddie Bravo himself promotes it as a viable form of self defense for women "Rapest dont box they wrestle"

Array

School
    Ronin
    Jeremy is a police officer and has been doing the Gracie Combatives program at the Bushin Martial Arts Academy in Williamsburg, VA for about a year and a half now. He has had to use GJJ several times in the line of duty already (once disarming an assailant who had a pistol), and this is the most recent incident:

-Jeremy is on routine patrol in his squad car when he pulls up behind a vehicle that is driving erratically and looks suspicious.
    -Jeremy turns on the police lights to pull the vehicle over and the subject immediately hits the gas and starts to run, the officer obviously goes in pursuit.
    -Subject continues on a high speed getaway, eventually hitting a curb and blowing out 2 tires. However, he continues driving until he wrecks out in the woods.
    -As Jeremy exits his vehicle and rushes up to the assailant to arrest and detain him, the bad guy sidesteps, grabs Jeremy, and litterally tosses him aside (I should mention here that Jeremy is 5'10", 185 lbs and the assailant is 6'4", 235lb, and ripped).
    -Realizing that the situation is quickly getting out of hand, Jeremy draws his Taser and fires...nothing. He fires again...again the Taser misfires.
    -The bad guy see's that the Taser is not working and rushes Jeremy.
    -Jeremy ducks (Haymaker Punch Defense), achieves the rear clinch, executes a Rear Takedown into the modified mount and transitions into full mount. Bad guy then reaches for his gun. Jeremy blocks the attempt, deflects his arm and locks up full Twisting Arm Control! The bad guy is exhausted and can't get out of the hold, but is still fighting and continues to try to reach for Jeremy's weapon. Our guy keeps TAC in and waits for backup to arrive....which takes a full 5 minutes! Help finally arrives and they are able to handcuff the assailant and take him to jail. Turns out he has served many years of prison time and has a wrap sheet 20 pages long!

http://www.gracieacademy.com/news/gr...s-attacked.asp

Array

School
    Ronin
    multiple branches of the U.S military and state and federal law infocement have been traind By the Gracie family and other BJJ black belts. Why are so manny tax dollars being spent on this?
    Last edited by Jonathan Wylie; 09-17-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leach_jeffrey View Post
    Well, I see jui-jitsu as a sport.

It's not a great approach for street fighting. 1.) if the guy has a friend, you are going to get stomped while you are messing around on the ground, 2.) If they guy has a knife, you won't have a lot of opportunity to see him deploy it and you have little defense to stop it, 3.) strangling a random guy in a bar fight will land you in jail.
    Yes but it doesn't mean you won't go to the ground. If you were to slip or something you better know some basic Jiu Jitsu especially if he mounts you. Thats common sense.
    2. Okay......whats a guy having a knife got to do with Jiu Jitsu? Your probably gonna get stabbed unless you practice that scenario over and over.
    3. Submitting your drunk buddy cuz he got mad at you is a lot easier than knocking his ass out cold. After all its your friend and the alcohol is talking.

Remember a simple fight in the street is WAY different than fighting for survival in the street. You gotta measure the force that needs to be used to defend yourself. If its just some idiot that trys to start some shit with you at work than thats different than being jumped by three guys with knives at a gas station at 2 am cuz you wanted some donut sticks with a little bit of milk.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    I agree with you Don but the fact still remains that in friendly competition we can't go around breaking each others arms, ripping throats out, and slamming people on their heads. I have no doubts that if someone tried to hurt me and it did go to the ground I would use JJ, or if I could take it to the ground I would. Royce needs to let go of the fact that most people practicing Martial Arts don't go around kicking the shit out of strangers anymore, to prove that their system is the best. We have places for that so you don't have to worry about getting stabbed or shot. So if we want to be able to demonstrate our abilities and still have people to train with, then this is how it has to be to a certain degree.

Dustin C.

definitely not saying its not a good thing to know or that it wont help at all..... one on one its perfect, but i still say standing is better in a bar fight scene

1. you are better off standing, you can hit more than one person and move better, a few well placed punches can KO a person faster than submitting someone (some others here I'm sure have experienced this is real life) then get out
    2. To close the distance for grappling or striking you have to be standing, and to get the heck out (if he has a weapon, or cops show up) you have to be standing to run lol
    3.If you stuck around to get caught you will go to jail no matter what you used, especially a gun, possible murder charges

no matter what art you know or what weapon you use its better to avoid it IMHO, been there done it, not worth it

@Jonathan i agree that it is perfect for woman defense against rape, it is a one on one thing.... usually

@Don agree with tht too
    Last edited by Dustin C.; 09-17-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: cus i can

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast