Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin Lambert View Post
    +1

I think early in your Jiu Jitsu journey, strength is a detriment to your technique. It can make you sloppy if you're not careful.
    This is why I said what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Lott View Post
    I would say never switch a day of rolling for a day of lifting if that's the choice. When I do multiple workouts these days, it's always Jiu-Jitsu and Ashtanga yoga.............and the flexibility I have has paid off way more than strength.
    This is what my husband/instructor told me when I wanted to start training Crossfit. But then I would be too tired to put 100% into my jj. I tried it to see if I could do two days of crossfit on top of my 4 jj days...I didn't replace the time, but my jj suffered so bad for those two weeks.. Instead of getting like 30 or so reps on each thing during class I'd get like ten.

Also, I just want to say this. You can always work harder/go harder in jj. Every time I think I've reached my limit, I find I can push way harder. Be stronger in Jiu jitsu. Tom said he thinks if you compete you should weight train. I think you shouldn't even think about that until around purple belt. I push myself to do more rounds. To feel like the situation is urgent. To move. To not quit when I feel like puking. To get elbowed an keep going. To be smothered and not panic, and move.

Get stronger in every position. Get strong in your defense. Get strong in Jiu Jitsu Ross.mAnd if you weight train and end up giving 50% in class, stop immediately. It's not worth it to hinder your progress for weights. Trust me. A lot of us have tried it at our school. There's no point until you're high level. I can't stress it enough. Spend 30 mins before class strength training your brain w videos and Eddie's books. Strengthen your mind, it goes hand in hand with your jj.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Applegate View Post

This is what my husband/instructor told me when I wanted to start training Crossfit. But then I would be too tired to put 100% into my jj. I tried it to see if I could do two days of crossfit on top of my 4 jj days...I didn't replace the time, but my jj suffered so bad for those two weeks.. Instead of getting like 30 or so reps on each thing during class I'd get like ten.

Also, I just want to say this. You can always work harder/go harder in jj. Every time I think I've reached my limit, I find I can push way harder. Be stronger in Jiu jitsu. Tom said he thinks if you compete you should weight train. I think you shouldn't even think about that until around purple belt. I push myself to do more rounds. To feel like the situation is urgent. To move. To not quit when I feel like puking. To get elbowed an keep going. To be smothered and not panic, and move.

Get stronger in every position. Get strong in your defense. Get strong in Jiu Jitsu Ross.mAnd if you weight train and end up giving 50% in class, stop immediately. It's not worth it to hinder your progress for weights. Trust me. A lot of us have tried it at our school. There's no point until you're high level. I can't stress it enough. Spend 30 mins before class strength training your brain w videos and Eddie's books. Strengthen your mind, it goes hand in hand with your jj.
    I can see the benefit mentioned earlier that if you don't lift you're going to be smaller and weaker than your opponent which forces you to use technique more. There's definitely some truth in that. Because im bigger and stronger than many of the people in the gym I feel like I tire myself out before I roll which has the same effect mentioned earlier about having to use technique more, except I have that strength when I need it in tournaments. It also prevents me being a fatty again

I heard people say many times that all the workout you need is from JJ class which I don't totally understand. I may get an ok cardio workout from rolling but its nowhere near what I can be pushed to from a crossfit class or weight lifting session. Maybe if I went 100% I could get a little better workout from rolling but then I would just be using strength more instead of technique which defeats the purpose. I feel like if someone waited until they were a purple belt to start strength training then they would be years behind in building up the strength the could have had. I don't think anyone is wrong for doing it, everyone is free to make their own choices, I just couldn't imagine doing it myself. To me, that's like saying you shouldn't work on your flexibility until your a purple belt because it will help you focus on proper technique more.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I lift mainly to build a stronger posture, balance my physique and increase my stability. Everyone's needs are different. I found the article online 'Neanderthal No More' to be a great resource. Poor posture and muscular disbalance led to shoulder and lower back injuries before I really started paying attention to it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ray View Post
    The answer is jiujitsu. Just like tori said. Barncat teaches at a college. He has to deal with college level football players in a regular basis. 260lb dudes with 4.4sec 40's and benching a small car. And the skinny weak little Barncat storms through them every time. I guarantee you, I'll bet my paycheck, you are stronger than Barncat. Tori has the idea. Jiujitsu was designed to beat the superior athlete..
    Alright but Barncat is a good purple belt and these college football guys are new white belts. Even I can tap the dudes you are describing but after a couple months of them training, I would have to survive until they get tired or catch them with something tricky to ever tap them.

Does Barncat tap 200+lbs purple belts?

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Applegate View Post

Ok but jumping into crossfit is maybe not what you want to do if you want to avoid being so sore that you cant get a good jj practice in. Isn't there a level of strength training you can do with out making yourself so sore you loose 2/3 of your reps?

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    A lot of guys here are bashing weights, even though Master Eddie has professed weight training himself.

Although I am not as petite as you, I am smaller than most guys in our club and I started lifting a year an a half ago because I felt too weak to hold my own against them.

There is no denying that I am stronger now and it helps when I roll. My BJJ game is tighter now than it was when I first started lifting, but I know for a fact that I have a much higher percentage clinch game and better shrimping/escape game because of lifting.

Lifting weights is one of the absolute best exercises you can do for your body. If has so many countless positive effects on every aspect of your metabolic process, your hormonal levels, chemical balances, etc etc.

I am just reading an absolutely mind-blowing book that destroys conventional thinking on cardio/aerobic conditioning and weight training. If you want to do yourself a serious favor, go get "Body by Science" and read that. You will find a lot of people are wasting time with a lot of unecessary S&C stuff, etc.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    Does Barncat tap 200+lbs purple belts?
    +1 -- although I'd probably add 'on a consistent basis' to the end of this. Gotta hespetch the Nibiru Warrior of the Year!

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    There is no arguing that barbell glute bridges don't make your upa escape a lot stronger or at least makes lockdown recovery a whole lot easier.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    +1 -- although I'd probably add 'on a consistent basis' to the end of this. Gotta hespetch the Nibiru Warrior of the Year!
    Yeah, that is what I meant.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McLaren View Post
    Just for future reference - when a girl says you're not that small it means that you are

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234