Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

What do you guys think about Phil Davis?

Based on his performance against Lil' Nog, where you think he sits on the food chain?

I felt that he did enough to get the victory, but I wasn't very impressed with his overall skills. Lil' Nog stuffed a lot of his takedowns, and his striking didn't look too hot. I don't think he's near Jon Jones, at this point.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Ho View Post
    Based on his performance against Lil' Nog, where you think he sits on the food chain?

I felt that he did enough to get the victory, but I wasn't very impressed with his overall skills. Lil' Nog stuffed a lot of his takedowns, and his striking didn't look too hot. I don't think he's near Jon Jones, at this point.
    I think Phil Davis has great potential and may become good with time but he is a long way off from competing with Jon Jones. Reporters asked him if he would fight Jones next at the post fight conference. That's crazy talk. Jones would bodyslam Davis.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    Agreed.
    Head Instructor of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

WWW.10thplanetjiujitsumtl.com

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    I thought that fight was pretty exciting at points. It was like Lil' Nog was a ticking time-bomb, and Davis had to defuse him by getting the takedown. Now that I think about it, he should change his nickname to "Jack Bauer."

Davis needs to work on his striking if he wants to challenge Jones eventually, but he showed awesome footwork and feints to setup his takedowns. He showed exactly how far you can go with top-notch wrestling and athleticism last night. Unfortunately, that will be the last fight he wins with just those skills.

Array

School
    blank
    he's good. but i don't see davis acquiring good enough striking to hang with the best in the division. i think he will fall short when against someone with high level striking and the ability to get up after being taken down.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Davis looked great,his headkick slip turned double-leg was too sick. He will only be getting better check out his blogs this week at bjpenn.com. One of them shows one of his weight cutting exercises,the river of sweat is crazy.
    http://www.bjpenn.com/video/phil-davis-video-blog-day-3

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    I am no Jones fan boy but if Davis got near Jon Jones, he would get 3 losses, one TKO, one submission and one KO all at the same time and this would happen before Jones said hi.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    By the way I watched that video and I like to say that this kid has a great personality.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    I wasn't all that impressed either. I didn't see the crazy athleticism I thought I was gonna see (maybe I'm just getting too used to watching jones). Not a fan of Lloyd Irvin mma guys in general ( Brandon Vera comes to mind). They get hot early but when it comes down to fighting top notch guys they don't seem to have the well roundedness it takes to win the bug fights.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Orlando
    not even in top 20 imo. Great wrestler, ZERO striking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast