Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Damn I don't know why everyone is now complaining about the rematch. This is a good thing for both. Nick can prove he shoulda got the nod the first fight and Carlos can prove he has the right to be interim champ. Every close fight like this deserves a rematch. Happened with bj/Edgar and again with Maynard/Edgar. We, as fans, should be happy we get to see two of the very best in thier prime fight again. Sit back and enjoy my friends. That being said, go Diaz!

Sam Sales

Yes Maynard vs Edgar 3 - I loved that fight. Seeing Frankie (whom i think is an excellent champion) finally get that decisive victory against Maynard was fucking awesome.
    :-)

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by lates85 View Post
    decent point....however...the fans felt it controversal....the fans prolly want a rematch in the meantime of gsp healing....aparently gsp hurt his knee from standing up too fast with the excitement of carlos winning. I kinda relate it too how dana talked all this shit about strikeforce in one way or another and then when he bought out strikeforce he showed up to the events and basically admitted to it having a fanbase. he's gonna do what makes the chaching...and ya if diaz won it would complete the cycle of the much desired match between him and gsp.
    I don't think George was jumping up with excitement when Condit won there was nothing exciting about it and he wants to fight Nick anyway. In the statement you are referring to Dana was talking about the Stephen Thompson fight.
    formerly known as jmw0582

K Madden

Hello Gents, if you dont think this is PURELY about MONEY, then you are mistaken.
    Think... Dana said that Carlos wants to fight again before GSP. Who? Ellenberger, IF he beats Diego. Most people don't even know who Ellenberger is.
    PPV sales drive these guys to higher paydays and HELLO...why are they fighting? Pride- yes. Because they love it- yes. Would they do it for free? Probably, yes. But do you think these guys aren't driven to make MORE money for doing the same thing- putting everything on the line, risking injury, a loss and the chance to fight GSP? just think about it.
    Also, what happens if Diego/Ellenberger beats Carlos? Then fans are even MORE pissed. GSP vs. Diego/Ellenberger? Yuck.

I'm 100% certain that the meeting with Dana went like this:
    Dana- "Carlos, if you fight Nick your payday goes up to $xxxxxx.xx and you have the chance to shut everyone up. It's the same risk as fighting anyone else, so why not get more money and have the chance to beat Nick again? Plus, if he does beat you, then we have a tie-breaker match worth EVEN MORE $$$"
    Carlos- "Yes Daddy, where do I sign?"

Most people dont know who Ellenberger is? That is a joke. Umm he's the guy who KOed Shields and lost a contraversial split decision with Condit.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Ken's right. The hardcore fans know him. But go to hooters or bww and the majority will not know Ellenberger. They will be clamoring in for Diaz/Condit II.

K Madden

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Bjerke View Post
    Most people dont know who Ellenberger is? That is a joke. Umm he's the guy who KOed Shields and lost a contraversial split decision with Condit.
    go ask people who barely know mma. obviously you know...most mediocre fans have no idea.
    people know staples- GSP, Chuck, Brock, Wandy, Randy, Royce...and a few others.
    It's just like BBall or any other main sport...unless you follow it, you can only name the big guys. Ellenberger has NO pull...yet.

K Madden

Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Ken's right. The hardcore fans know him. But go to hooters or bww and the majority will not know Ellenberger. They will be clamoring in for Diaz/Condit II.
    ding ding ding!

Thats what UFC primetime is for. Im sure mediocre fans had no idea who Nick Diaz was before his fight with Penn.

Array

School
    NA
    this thread is hilarious....i will say that a controversal decision from big fighters doesn't always constitute an immediate rematch. for instance the fight were serra KO'd GSP.....gsp got an immediate rematch for some reason. serra didn't have the chance to defend his belt against anyone else

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast