Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur

BJJ vs 10th Planet..

So I know this topic comes up ALL the time. But I was hoping to talk about it in a way thats perhaps a little more organized and open minded than the usual arguments you hear. I was wondering the pros and cons of each. And more specifically what the actual differences are between them.

Beginning with techniques.. I understand that the 10th planet system has names for literally every position and little transition (I personally love this aspect) But which of these moves are not taught in BJJ (regardless if they have a name), and why? I hear things like "rubber guard will never work" but at the same time "That was around in BJJ long before Eddie named it". Which for obvious reasons.. Doesnt line up (unless you admit youre teaching techniques you know to be faulty?) But as for the twister/twister side, lockdown, truck, ect.. Are any of these moves taught in Bjj? And on the flip side.. are there any moves in Bjj that arent taught in 10th planet (besides the obvious techniques that require a gi) if so, why?

On top of that.. what do you consider to be the most effective statistically? What i mean by this is.. Everyone here obviously believes in the system. But how does it usually stack up in tournaments? (im not asking this pretentiously.. I legitimately dont know the answer) Ive heard a few people talk about how 10th planet never wins any big/prestigious tournaments.. But at the same time I see a few people from the system winning world tournaments. (granted, BJJ probably has more gold medals per year as of now.. But you also have to think, they also have THOUSANDS of blackbelts.) So when people say things like "If its so good why has only 1 person ever got a medal at the Abu Dhabis?" I cant help but to put it into proportion and think "well, we had 2-3 guys invited.. which at the time was 30% of our blackbelts.. Where as less than 1% of bjj Black belts get invited." So I am curious to know if anyone goes to enough tournaments to notice how many 10th planet guys are winning compared to how many enter. (I live in ohio so theres very few 10th planet guys at the tournaments Ive been to)

I see both sides to the argument.. But I guess my main question is, other than the gi, and focus on the clinch.. whats the main differences between the two styles techniques/moves?

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Fuck BJJ!! Fucking pajama wearing faggots!!! except for when I'M trainy wif da gi...then is good for my lifes.
    That pretty much answers your question, you're welcome.

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    I also hear people use the ole "And how many world champions does 10thPlanet have...? Yeah, exactly." I usually reply, "Well, FUCKER, Mr. Goddamn know it all, BJJ has been around WAY longer than the 10thPlanet system. 10P is still very young. Give it time, and you will see how many world champions 10P will produce.......BITCH." Then, they just shut up. :P

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    It's all grappling.

The difference between any different types of grappling (gi/ no-gi/ judo/ wrestling) are the rules you super impose on them which cause you to develop different styles.

What's nice about the 10th planet system is that they try to adopt anything that works and are constantly modifying moves to make them better.

It isn't like an 80 year old system so they may not be winning ridiculous amounts of medals yet but Im sure this will come in time.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan_Karam View Post
    Fuck BJJ!! Fucking pajama wearing faggots!!! except for when I'M trainy wif da gi...then is good for my lifes.
    I literally laughed out loud. "pajama wearing faggots!!!" Its funny but I don't think of gi grapplers that way myself.
    Last edited by Aaron Gustaveson; 10-22-2012 at 09:33 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

No-gi vs. PJ's at the end of the video
    Last edited by Jack LaBarge; 10-22-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hickman View Post
    I also hear people use the ole "And how many world champions does 10thPlanet have...? Yeah, exactly." I usually reply, "Well, FUCKER, Mr. Goddamn know it all, BJJ has been around WAY longer than the 10thPlanet system. 10P is still very young. Give it time, and you will see how many world champions 10P will produce.......BITCH." Then, they just shut up. :P
    Hahah. I don't exactly answer in that tone, but with the same logic. Give it time. How many students rolled through alliance before we got elite competitors? How many students do you cross before you get Galvao or a Marcelo? You know? But if you think about it, in a relatively short time, our guys have been tearing competition up. It's only a matter of time before 10th planet produces a guy who takes gold at abu dhabi.

By the arguer's logic 99% of BJJ sucks because only 1% of black belts get mundial titles. Haha. But another thing to consider is that 10th planet isn't a points based system. It's a submission based system. And the Gracie nationals and Gracie worlds showed that 10th planet is major force to be reconed with in the sub only format.

Are things like the truck and lockdown taught? I'd say yes from what I've seen, but no....not the way Eddie teaches it. Not to the degree of excellence that 10th planet teaches it. Everyone who tried to pull off 10th planet moves that haven't learned directly from 10th planet usually looks like....well it looks pretty obvious that they haven't trained with 10th planet. Haha.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan_Karam View Post
    That made me laugh as well. lol

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Are things like the truck and lockdown taught? I'd say yes from what I've seen, but no....not the way Eddie teaches it. Not to the degree of excellence that 10th planet teaches it. Everyone who tried to pull off 10th planet moves that haven't learned directly from 10th planet usually looks like....well it looks pretty obvious that they haven't trained with 10th planet. Haha.
    Thats kind of what I was asking i suppose. I know they claim lockdown is in the system of BJJ.. But Ive never really seen it gone over in a way that covers ALL the small details the Eddie seems to. Which I think anyone who does JJ for awhile realizes.. there are no such things as "small" details. SO in a sense, I see BJJ as having a rough idea of what 10th planet does.. but they lack the details in those specific techniques to really ever use them efficiently. So what about the other way around.. Is there things that BJJ offers when it comes to techniques that we dont have or teach? Or is the general concept of 10th planet more oriented towards Bruce Lee type philosophy of "If it works, use it". For instance.. With herzogs background in Judo, We see some of that influence displayed in his jiujitsu when he teaches. (because he knows which techniques work and which dont from the art) So we just kind of all agree that its something that we can add to the 10th planet system when presented by a credible source and it has been proven to work

Array

School
    Ronin
    I'd rather hang out with 10thPJJ people than the BJJ people I've met. That's a huge plus column entry for me with 10thPJJ; if I'm going to devote my time to the training I only want cool, fun, laid back people around me. The whole thing that everyone rolls with everyone, and pajama closure device colors are not so in your face makes for a great environment for a newbie jumping into the world.
    The other huge bonus, is that 10thPJJ is a simple bolt on system for a primarily stand up person like me. I can have game from square one, rather than having a ton of subs that I need to turn into a game plan on my own.

Array

School
    Montalvo Martial Arts Lifestyle Center/10th Planet Omaha
    I have been around jiu jitsu for almost 10 years now (even though I've never earned a belt, I don't need one but it's a goal of mine) and have trained in the Army (M.A.C.P), several different so called BJJ gyms and have tried the Gracie online system. Hands down, 10th Planet is the most fun, most accepting system. I have only been on this forum for a little bit now and you can really see the "family" aspect. Everyone I have spoken with that trains at a 10th Planet school wouldn't train anywhere else. I guess what I see as the main difference isn't what you wear or what the techniques are called, it's the atmosphere that attracts me. I can be myself around 10th Planet people, I can smoke some bud and have amazing conversations with complete strangers and feel like a part of the family, no one has ever made me feel like shit for not knowing something. THAT is more important to me.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast