Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Charlotte

10th Planet and Army Combatives

I am in the Army and from time to time teach my Soldiers Army Combatives(LVL 1). Per the standard MACP (Modern Army Combatives Program) training I teach them some cross collar chokes and grabbing sleeves and belts to aid in maniuplating your opponent...but, let's face it not every enemy in the field of battle is going to have a long sleeve shirt or coat on, some body armor or even a chest rig to grab ahold of. Heck, I remember having to go one on one with a combative patient who was butt naked in my aid station. That was a life altering event.
    So, I teach them a little bit of our sweet science. Now, I would never want to be in a combat situation and have to be in a guard top or bottom scenario but, maybe someone could have my back or I could find myself in a half-guard bottom situation. I have showed them the lock-down to whip-up and with boots on...that is exactly what it is. There is no way that leg is getting out. I have even gone so far as to train them to grab for a knife or weapon of opportunity with their base hand while having that arm hooked across the back in the whip-up(one reason why I always keep a knife on my chest rig). Maybe I am going a bit far with what Eddie had in mind but I think that I owe it to my troops to teach them anything that could aid in their survival if the situation arises.

I'm curious to hear what you all have to say about it.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    What is the expected skill level of the enemy combatants?

Array

School
    Ronin
    I think the lockdown is definatly street/field applicable you might consider some transitions to dog fight. I think that is a good option in these types of senarios not for the sweeps from there but for the easy transition back to the feet where they have a better chance at employing there weapons systems.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet Charlotte
    You never know. With the availability of multi-media now-a-days anything is possible. I worked with some Iraqi Army guys who were on the Iraqi Judo Team and were legit. I guess it would have to come down to who cherishes their own life enough to destroy another. Fight or flight.

Array

School
    10th Planet Charlotte
    Yeah, I have gone over the transition to dogfight to disengagement then going for their weapon. Another I go over is a modified gangster lean mount to gain compliance and arm control.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    I mean, if a guy was flattening you out in a fight, clearly the lockdown would be a great asset to have. Otherwise though, if your opponent isn't capable of performing such a feet then it's less likely that they could get a wizzer in and dominate any loose half guard scenario either.

I do think though, that the dog fight position is vital. It occurs in all kinds of crazy scrambles.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Somebody needs to update it. I've worked with a lot of guys who believe that 2 week crash course makes them a hand to hand expert. 80% of the time when in guard they swim themselves into a triangle. They tell me this is what they are taught to do in guard. I understand that the time focused on this can't be a priority but I think more would be useful to them. Even a supplement to regular pt. I don't know too much on the subject, so I just wanna ask, is there anything that you are mandated to teach that is just ridiculous? In your opinion

Array

School
    10th Planet Charlotte
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Somebody needs to update it. I've worked with a lot of guys who believe that 2 week crash course makes them a hand to hand expert. 80% of the time when in guard they swim themselves into a triangle. They tell me this is what they are taught to do in guard. I understand that the time focused on this can't be a priority but I think more would be useful to them. Even a supplement to regular pt. I don't know too much on the subject, so I just wanna ask, is there anything that you are mandated to teach that is just ridiculous? In your opinion
    Yeah, the guard pass taught in MACP level1 is bogus. I teach it because it is what I am told to teach. But, I add the "however," and show a more effective pass and tell them the best thing is to never end up in guard top. To go for a weapon or just be super violent and demand a better position at all costs. As far as I know the manual on combatives is/has recently been rewritten or modified to correct weaknesses. For the most part MACP level 1 gives a Solider a very basic foundation but by no means are they certified and stamped "B.A." In my spare time I teach a basic MMA class here using MWR facilities. On occasion I will get a guy in that is like "I'm MACP level 1" and I tend to have to spend more time with them helping them relearn and repair their "training scars" drilled into them.

If I get a chance before I leave here I will make a video demonstrating some of what I teach in my Combatives class. I got the idea for this when I went to a seminar that had Tim Kennedy and he was doing a "jiu jitsu for combat" kinda thing. It really got me thinking about all the "what ifs" and unknowns of hand to hand combat and how I could tie it in with what I teach.

When i went through Army Basic training 7 years ago i was a blue belt in BJJ and i remember my drill sgt got in my guard to show everyone the basic transition to side control by underhooking my one of my legs and and leaning all his weight on my leg and right there i said " Drill sgt i wouldnt recommend doing that" and he said why? Keep in mind this is 2003 so BJJ was popular but not like it is now, so not as many people knew anything. Well after he said "why" i showed he could get triangled, and he said "no you cant, show me" So here comes the biggest mistake i could of ever made!!!! I triangled him and he just about passed out, remember this is in front of the whole company (4 platoons) needles to say he wasnt happy and i paid for it the rest of basic training!!!! But i had some bragging rights the rest of boot camp!!! "Hey thats the guy that almost choked out that drill sgt" Anyway its a funny story to look back now!!!

Array

School
    bulletproof
    Im actually really bummed how much our military, police forces , fbi ,lacks the basic knowledge of self defense and training. Ive had several service men , police officers, travel through my gym to train, from marines to army , some former sec. forces from afgan. and they really seem to rely on there weapons more then anything. I love that our soldiers are doing a job where ever they are. you have my respect entirely. Just wish you could be safe in any situation presented to you . but it seems they are rushed through basic training . Having just vague knowledge from maybe high school wrestling or its hard to really grasp anything usful from that fast training they are put through.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast