Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville

jiu-jitsu Vs Wrestling thoguhts?

Hey guys, I've got a friend that wants to start grappling and I offered him to look into Brazilian Jiu-jitsu/ jiu-jitsu vs High school wrestling.

he has a bit of an ego and doesnt think highly of "guy rolling around in pajama's"

I told him, dont get me wrong, wrestling is good and can be effective but for a street fight BJJ/JJ will more than likely beat out High School wrestling. wrestling is a very strong and dominant foundation, however in a highschool setting, your mostly working for position and points.

wrestling is position, jiu jitsu is submission.

wrestling is extremely fun and effective but I would lean to jiu jitsu every time.
    Its his choice but I told him to look into jiu jitsu aswell for a grappling art.

any advice, input, opinions etc?

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville
    please correct me if im wrong but, for high school and college wrestling, submissions arent even permitted correct?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    please correct me if im wrong but, for high school and college wrestling, submissions arent even permitted correct?
    thats true about wrestling. But many positions, tech can be very painful. Moves like the twister are legal.

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Wrestling is good, but a pure wreslter would never beat a jiu jitsu fighter. He'd have to know some kind of submission in order to win.

Array

School
    Jingy's Boxing Club
    The Gracie Hunter

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikijiujitsu View Post
    The Gracie Hunter

He's a Catch Wrestler though, Saku doesn't count hahah.
    Take Genki Sudo for example he was a wrestler and he tears people apart.
    But only cause he knows submissions. Fact is, that wrestling doesn't teach you the guard 1/2 guard or anything like that.
    But when you face Jiu Jitsu and you're in those positions you're pretty much fucked.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    The "Pure" Wrestling of greats such as Dan Gable traces back to the Catch Wrestling of Farmer Burns, Ed Lewis, Ad Santel, and Frank Gotch. I suggest you check out http://www.wrestlingtree.com/

Array

School
    Jingy's Boxing Club
    When Gracie started tapping dudes out in ufc it really brought so much attention to bjj im surprised it didnt happen with catch wrestling after Sak was smashing everybody.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffRace727 View Post
    Wrestling is good, but a pure wreslter would never beat a jiu jitsu fighter. He'd have to know some kind of submission in order to win.
    not completely, I started as a pure wrestler and beat some good jj players in my first year.

Array

School
    10th Planet Eugene / Northwest Training Center
    Last night i brought a guy from class with me to JJ..he really liked it..and he is a great wrestler for my HS..he kicked my butt with all the pining though..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast